Creaper

/ Creaper #11  
if needing the pto.. you can't use idle.. you need rated speed. at rated speed.. 1st may be too fast.

even in the old fords with trans pto.. the addition of a sherman low let you tach the engine up highand get pto up even though ground speed wasn't ideal.. still :)

I always wanted a sherman step up step down when I had the 8n. The gearing was terrible on those tractors, reverse is the same as 3rd gear and low is too fast for some things.

/ Creaper #12  
yep.. 4spds were tall..

5spds better.. but wasn't untillt he 8spd came out that they finally got a few useable gears... not counting the sos 10spds..

/ Creaper #13  
I use the lowest gears on the mf 6290 that I use to pull the mixer wagon while feeding the cows and have MANY times I could use a lower gear. I have to go forward and back a few times while trying to get all the feed out of the wagon in the space available. lower gears would let me do it in one pass. 0917091018.jpg

/ Creaper #16  
Don87 said:
OMG............Now you done it:shocked::)

That was my reaction when I took my gate of the hinges when clear dirt next to my shed. I realized had I been creeping I would, or at least might, have had time to react before I created more work for myself. I now I use it any time I'm smart enough to realize I might end up saying "now you've done it"!
Last week end I was clearing a ditch and it was easier to watch the box blade and the front creeping before I had or created a new problem. I figure I'm so far ahead with a tractor I can afford to go a bit slower.
RoN

/ Creaper #18  
The creeper gear was to allow high engine speed--whether for running an implement or just for pure pulling power--while giving a lower ground speed.