Creating a home for my Hot Tub

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub
Failing might have been the wrong word. It's fading quickly. The color isn't what it was when I put it on, and not what I really want. In the third pic, you can see the panel that I removed. It still looks OK, but not great. The fading is from moisture getting in under the gel stain and breaking it down. I clear coated it after I applied the gel stain, but it's impossible to get front, sides and the back, so what happens is the moisture comes in from the back. At least that's what the guy from James Hardi told me.

I got lucky with the grapple. First time I did it, I had the bucket on there, and that was really tight. I had Ron Hall and my parents here to help me that time. This time, with the extra wiggle room, I was able to do it by myself without any trouble.

Eddie

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #112  
Eddie, this is a guest house I built in Utah. Hardi plank with Mason's Select stain.
ry%3D400

It held up well for years. Don't know how it's doing now as we sold it several years back. That stuff looked enough like wood that people standing close enough to touch it swore I was lying when I told them it was Hardi.
Joe H

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub
Joe,

I still get that. Nobody believes it's Hardi, even with all the fading that I have it still looks like real wood.

From what the rep told me, the fading is from moisture. I don't know if you'd have that problem there or not. I have very high humidity and get about 4ft of rain per year on average. This year it might be more!!!!

I looked up the Masons Stain and found concrete stain and that they used it on Certainteed siding, which is the competition for Hardi siding. I'm told it's similar, but I've never worked with Certainteed because it's not available here. I do know that several new gas stations have used it with the stain already applied and it's failing on them after a few years. Maybe five years. I'm not sure exactly, but it's become a warentee nightmare for everyone envolved.

You did a nice job on the guest house. It looks very inviting.

Eddie

/ Creating a home for my Hot Tub #114  
Eddie, humidity in southern Utah is close to zero most of the time. This is the stuff I used
t_5869.

Worked great there, maybe not for you. That was a nice place, wish I was still there.
Joe H