Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop
I bought it on Amazon. They have a very limited selection of SDS bits at my local stores. United Rental sells a lot more, but they are expensive.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #12  
Very cool. I never heard of that before, but that's the idea I had to monitor and access each pen from one central location. Sometimes I wish I had an education to already know these things.

Then you might enjoy reading up on rotary jails. There's one down in Montgomery County, Indiana. One of only two left in the country... read it when you have a few minutes. Pretty neat. Dont' know how the chickens would feel about it, though. :laughing:

Montgomery County Jail and Sheriff's Residence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rotary jail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #13  
Very cool project you have going here. Looking forward to seeing the updates as you put it together.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #14  
Then you might enjoy reading up on rotary jails. There's one down in Montgomery County, Indiana. One of only two left in the country... read it when you have a few minutes. Pretty neat. Dont' know how the chickens would feel about it, though. :laughing:

Montgomery County Jail and Sheriff's Residence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rotary jail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We've got a variation of the rotary prison down here at Port Arthur, Tasmania. I've done the tour of it and it's fascinating what all of the different 'penitentiary' methods were employed over time.

13909038_1233961646627474_482689790096028033_o.jpg

My wife took this of my yesterday. We're having a bit of a cool spell with temps only in the mid 90's. The humidity is still very high, but I was able to work all day with the lower temps. Last weekend I gave up at 2pm when temps got over 100 and the real feel heat index hit 118. I'm a zombie after that!!!

Foundation work is all done, and now I'm working on framing up the roof. What you see framed up now is the walls between each of the 8 stalls. We're expecting severe thunder storms this week, so I'm going to wait for that to pass before putting OSB up on the walls. Then I'll finish framing the walls and roof.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #16  
How are those 2x6's attached on the 30 degree angles?

How are those 2x6's attached on the 30 degree angles?

The angles starting from the ones going straight up, then 22.5 degrees, then 10 degrees. As of right now, there is a single 3 inch screw holding the two together at 22.5 degrees. When the rains end, I will be cutting and gluing and screwing a full sheet of OSB to the side of each wall section. There are seven of them. Once that is done, I'll start framing up in between each wall section with a more skeletal frame. I'm debating between metal fasteners to hold it together, or gusseting it with OSB on either side.

The treated 4x4 posts are 3 feet in the ground and the overhang is 16 inches. That overhang will be where the nesting boxes are. Then the rest will of the room will have a perch for them to sleep, and for us to easily catch them when they are asleep.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #20  
Eddie, have you ever heard of the word "conventional"? :laughing: Just kidding, keep it up, we all enjoy your "out of the box" construction projects.