Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick???

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #11  
You just never know. We paid for our stay at a motel in Eureka Springs Arkansas with out credit card, and much to our surprise someone used our credit card number to charge their stay at 3 or 4 other motels in that area. Looked like someone at the motel took the liberty of using our number to finance their vacation.

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #12  
You just never know. We paid for our stay at a motel in Eureka Springs Arkansas with out credit card, and much to our surprise someone used our credit card number to charge their stay at 3 or 4 other motels in that area. Looked like someone at the motel took the liberty of using our number to finance their vacation.

That's why I use credit cards and not debit cards for stuff like that. The protection is basically the same but they can't empty your checking account and cause overdrafts and reputational problems.

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #13  
I'm glad they do call as our numbers were stolen and used to buy something from China , and the package was delivered to our house . We have no idea what it was as we refused delivery . Post office stated this is happening more and more .

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #14  
I put up with that kind of nonsense from Discover & eventually cancelled my acct. The used no common sense on the issues. They would call my home to verify a charge I was trying to make 150 miles away at a business I frequented on a reasonably regular basis. Never had any of those kind of issues with Amex or Chase.

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #15  
I had to go through this twice... only shopped Target one time and that was enough and then again with Home Depot...

This has taken an interesting twist for us. This morning the DW got a text from the card that an attempted charge in Nepal had been declined and we should contact them. They are canceling the card and reissuing. Dang thieves :mad: but I am glad the card company is keeping a close watch on it.

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #16  
Deleted

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #17  
Was paying for a TV at Cosco with my card and it was denied.
Very embarrassing as I knew my bank balance* and card balance were OK.
When I took that card I made sure that I had an approved high limit as I often like to make a 'good deal' that needs ready cash (from an ATM).
I learned that the CC Co downsized my limit 'for my protection' they claimed.
The maddening thing was that they never bothered to advise me of that down grading.

*at the time my bal was over $25.K in one acct alone.

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #18  
I put up with that kind of nonsense from Discover & eventually cancelled my acct. The used no common sense on the issues. They would call my home to verify a charge I was trying to make 150 miles away at a business I frequented on a reasonably regular basis. Never had any of those kind of issues with Amex or Chase.

You just pushed my button! :mad::mad::mad:

It makes me loco! :D:D:D

A few years ago, someone stole my wife's checking account number and got a Discover card. Almost certainly this was from an old account at a health care provider since we had not used her checking account in years. Discover issued a card to someone in GA if I remember right and they made charges in a few places and then sent us the bill...

Now think about that for a minute....

The idiots at Discover issued a card....
Send the card to one address...
In a state different than the checking account...
And then sent the bill to a different address in a different state. REALLY?

This was a big mess and still is to this day. *** WE *** had to pay some money to Discover with the understanding that we would get the money back after the investigation is complete. We checked with a lawyer about this and we were told this is what we had to do so we did. We still don't have the money back and Discover still lies to us to this day. Their stupidity has cost us quite a bit of time and a little bit of money. :mad::mad::mad:

What makes this ironically funny is that I had a Discover card decades ago but canceled after some very bad service and swore I would NEVER, EVER have a Discover card. Even after this mess with my wife they still send me applications for a Discover card. :shocked::eek:

Later,
Dan

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick??? #19  
Locoweed and dmccarty, how long ago did you have a problem with Discover? I've been using a Discover card more than any other since 1987 and have had no complaints with them in 27 years. Twice in that 27 years, charges that were not mine showed up, I called, they removed the charges, promptly sent me new cards with new numbers, and a letter for me to sign if I'd be willing to help prosecute if the culprits should be apprehended, which of course, I'd be more than happy to do.

Only one time in my life have I had a credit card refused. I filled up with gas in Georgia once in 1993, went inside to pay, and they said my credit card was refused, so I used another card. Then when I got home I checked and found that my limit was set lower than I had thought, and even though I paid in full each month, I had bought a new computer and a bunch of other stuff that month that ran the bill up high. I called and apologized for going over the limit and the guy just laughed and said he'd just raise my limit so it would never show that I'd ever gone over the limit.

I'm one of those characters who actually keeps my receipts, matches them to the statement, pays the bill, and keeps those statements and receipts at least 5 years. I also go to my credit card company websites 2 or 3 times during the month to see if there are any charges I don't recognize.

/ Credit Card Early Warning Fraud Calls uptick???
I'm pretty careful too.

I'm sure part of the problem is two fold...

I live in an area that has a higher than average criminal element... affects a lot of things that others take for granted and I sometimes will do things like buy gas 3 times on a Saturday if I fill up the family cars or may pay some of Mom's bills online when I pay mine... like Waste Management Garbage Bills... this has thrown up a flag when I pay several garbage bills back to back.

Nothing really to apologize for... it's just I don't fit the mold of a typical customer.