Creepy. (Re: online privacy)

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
So, my former wife called today and mentioned her recent garage door repair. She said that the repairman had also sprayed the noisy spring with WD40. We are both on our cell phones. We hung up and she texted me a photo of the repairman's business card for some work I need to have done.

Several minutes later, the TBN ad at the top of the page is for 3 in 1 brand garage door lube!? That can't be a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #2  
Not a coincidence.
I can go one better. I was looking for a shower enclosures online, 20 minutes later my daughter called, talked for a few minutes and I casually mentioned I was thinking about changing the shower enclosure....dead air for about 20 seconds. She then proceeded to tell me she was getting pop ups on her phone about enclosures.
She has no internet where she lives and has to use her phone to do anything online. She was to my place that afternoon and her phone updated a crap load of apps from my internet. Happened numerous times. I was looking for a vest on Amazon....she gets popups re vests. Scary how we're so inter connected and don't even realize it...............Mike

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #3  
Recent visit to the orthopedist, indicated that I needed a knee replacement. I have been inundated with spam telephone calls hawking orthopedic knee braces.

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #4  
My wife took a picture of a friend's son one day. Facebook popped up a message asking if she wanted to share it with his mother. I dug into it and discovered Facebook messenger was set up for facial recognition by default. You can turn it off if you can find it in the settings.

We have had ads come up on our computers and phones on several occasions for stuff we talked about and hadn't even searched for online. Google is most likely eavesdropping.

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #5  
Wife has to travel for work sometimes. I would get robo calls from whatever area she was travelling through untill she got home. I could tell what part of the state she was in by the caller id.
I have friends that keep a piece of electrical tape over the camera on their phone. Makes ya think there is a reason they dont allow you to remove your battery anymore.

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #6  
NEVER use Fakebook

NEVER search via the Goo.

ALWAYS use security measures to hide/block ads and other malware.

ENSURE that all tracking and location options are OFF on all devices..

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #7  
Just remembered another instance. Our preacher told us he was discussing a paper he was writing with his wife and asked her to look up the spelling of a word. When she took her phone and opened google and typed in the first letter of the word it brought the word up completely. I do not believe in coincidences.
They are always on and always listening and probably watching.

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #8  
I started receiving emails from a corner store that I sometimes visit. I went in and tried to find out how they got my address and the manager looked at me like I have 2 heads. The only thing that I can think of is that I may have used a CC in there at one time, and they are sharing my email address. As soon as I figure out which card I used there I will cancel it.

/ Creepy. (Re: online privacy) #9  
While reading this thread I got ads for Reynold's Wrap and millinery.