Critter Nests

/ Critter Nests #1  

PJohnson

Tractor
GC2310
I store my equipment (MF tractor, simplicity lawn tractor and snowblower) in an unheated Shelter Logic garage. The snowblower and lawn tractor are great spots for the field mice to nest in the off seasons.

I am curious what folks do to deter them - mothballs, peppermint, anything else?

/ Critter Nests #2  
I don't even know if you CAN deter them. I offer them a substitute snack instead. I find D-Con works well. Of course that may not be your first choice if you have cats, but I have none. I only put it out in the fall and winter though as I do have bull snakes.

/ Critter Nests #3  
I use those Victor bait stations that hold a block of their poison bait and keep it way from larger critters. I glue a length of sticky back magnetic tape/strip to the bottom of the bait station and put it in the tractor where the mice go. The magnet holds them in one spot so I don't distribute them through the woods.

gg

/ Critter Nests #4  
Imagine if someone removed the roof over your head. You might move out if you weren't able to replace it. I keep my tractor in an unheated shed with the hood up. Been doing this for 14 years with no problems. And I always have cats around on patrol to assist.

/ Critter Nests #5  
I've never had problems with mice or chipmunks in my tractor. The engine compartment is just to open. Provides little to no shelter. My truck - a totally different situation. I leave the hood open and have peppermint oil, on cotton, in a "drilled" pill bottle, in the glove compartment. This seems to work.

I'm desperately seeking new barn cats!!

/ Critter Nests #6  
I store my equipment (MF tractor, simplicity lawn tractor and snowblower) in an unheated Shelter Logic garage. The snowblower and lawn tractor are great spots for the field mice to nest in the off seasons.

I am curious what folks do to deter them - mothballs, peppermint, anything else?

Cheap stinky dollar store drier sheets..

/ Critter Nests #7  
Our country rats out west don't pay any attention to oil of peppermint, or dryer sheets, only poison baits and large Victor rat traps seem effective...

Dale

/ Critter Nests #8  
Everything suggested does work to certain point also fine mist of WD40.

/ Critter Nests #10  
Cotton Mice are our problem here in NE FL. We've had them store corn in the air filter canister of the tractor, build nests in the tools boxes........and I could go on. Lat couple of years we've learned to LOVE cats.

Not a fan of poison but it works.