cross over relief valve

/ cross over relief valve #1  

bubbacuse77

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520, John Deere X749
guys, I am getting conflicting info from my research. can I use a cross over relief valve on a dual acting cylinder?

/ cross over relief valve #2  
You could but why?

Why would you want to? The valve controlling the cyl will provide the relief.

How would you use it ?

/ cross over relief valve
I'm building a new FEL plow from an old 6 foot meyers I found for $100 dollars. I am about to send it for powercoating and was looking into the hydraulics and notice guys talking about crossover relief valves for snow plows.

I used one dual acting cylinder instead of 2 single acting. I just don't want to hurt anything in the hydraulic system.

How will the valve provide the protection? Does it transfer the fluid from one side to the other as needed?

Why do more people not use one larger dual acting cylinder vs the 2 single acting ones guys use for plows?

/ cross over relief valve #4  
guys, I am getting conflicting info from my research. can I use a cross over relief valve on a dual acting cylinder?

Yes you can.

The valve controlling the cyl will provide the relief.

How is that JJ?

You are probably going to want the Xover to work at a much lower pressure than anything in the valve would relieve at.

/ cross over relief valve #5  
Bubba... yes you can install one... and YES it's needed in the system, if you are plowing and fetch the corner of the plow on a curb, it's nice to have the hydraulic cylinder give instead of something REALLY expensive. These are easy to get and simple to install. just look on the prince hydraulic site or sun hydraulics..Jim

/ cross over relief valve #6  
You could but why?

Why would you want to? The valve controlling the cyl will provide the relief.

How would you use it ?

Yes, you can.

A common spool valve has no relief available to the work ports while the spool is in the neutral or hold position.
An excellent reason to use one on say, a snowplow angle circuit.

/ cross over relief valve #7  
Call me crazy but I dont see the crossover being effective on a DA cylinder.

There is more volume on one side VS the other. So IF you are angled so that the cylinder is extended, and hit something, and the crossover allows fluid to bypass to the other side of the cylinder, well....that side isnt large enough to hold all the volume of fluid comming. So then what?

I would think a PRV built into the system between the valve and cylinder would be best.

But I am no hydraulic expert. Just throwing out my thoughts.

Why not use the two single acting cylinders like it was set up for?

/ cross over relief valve #8  
   / cross over relief valve #9  
Call me crazy but I dont see the crossover being effective on a DA cylinder.

There is more volume on one side VS the other. So IF you are angled so that the cylinder is extended, and hit something, and the crossover allows fluid to bypass to the other side of the cylinder, well....that side isnt large enough to hold all the volume of fluid comming. So then what?

I would think a PRV built into the system between the valve and cylinder would be best.

But I am no hydraulic expert. Just throwing out my thoughts.

Why not use the two single acting cylinders like it was set up for?

LD1,
you are correct in that X-over RV provide a limited protection on DA cylinders. If the cylinder is fully retracted it can fully extend but will draw a vacuum on the blind end. If Fully extended it will only retract part way do to the volume difference.

JJ,
Yes port RV's will work except they again may or may not fill the other end of the cylinder with oil. Also depending on hose length and valve position they may be situated far enough away that they might not see the pressure spike before some thing bends.

Roy

/ cross over relief valve #10  
Oldnslo and LD1 are on the right track

one double-acting hyd cyl has different displacements on each side.....two single acting cyls are best or....... 2 double-acting cylinders plumbed cross-ways (rod end on one side tee'd to base end on the other.....and vise-versa)

definetly need a cross-over relief valve for a plow otherwise an induced load (ie: curb or manhole cover) will put a serious hurt on equipment.......BANG...:mad: