cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to?

/ cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to? #1  

gregg25

Tractor
ford 2000
i have inherited (lucky ) a 196x ford 2000 the numbers never made sense with the charts .
its a 3 cyl diesel 6spd with non live pto.
i have a pretty good leak at the crossshaft seal on both sides of the clutch and brake pedal.
im sure due to wobble i need to pull the bushings and seals . i looked at the shaft and it appears to be welded on both ends .
is the circle clip somewhere in the middle of the brake pedals or is it dead on the end of the shaft ?
im about to give up as it appears someone may have welded the shaft to the end washer .
Paint and more paint .. blasted the shaft ends and low and behold the circle clip has rolled under the washer .... now to pull the bushings any tips on the big bushings in the case

Last edited:
   / cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to? #2  
I have a 1972 Ford 2000 that I did those seals on. On the right side where the brake pedals are you need to dis-assemble and then the shaft will slide
all the way out to the left side. Of course on the left side there is the clutch pedal which will require some dis-assembly also. Take some pictures with your phone before taking it apart so you know how the springs and linkages go back and you will find it is an easy job.

/ cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to?
did you do the bushings too mag? thats what kinda scares me .

/ cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to? #4  
No I did not do the bushings on mine. I pulled the shaft and looked it over and could see no grooving or bad wear so I just did the seals on both sides.
When I was done it did not leak a drop and before the seals I was leaking about 2 quarts in two weeks. I did them last year and all is good.

/ cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to?
Awsome mag thanks . I ordered every darn part that could wear out I wanted to be sure I only had to tear that rod out once . I picked up some "whispering" harborfreight 12ton jack stands for the job I will do the brakes while I have the wheel off too.

/ cross shaft leak ford 2000 how to? #6  
I did not have to take any of the rear wheels off when I did it.