Crossing Mud and Standing Water

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #11  
My first thought was like Sysop's: find some stone to add to the wet spots. I have some trails where I'm thinking of using the cordoroy road approach on wet spots; I don't think this would be desirable where aesthetics matter or if you wanted mowable grass cover, though.

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #12  
Also, are there any tricks for avoiding getting stuck in mud, when you have to cross it?

--John

Like been written: Just keep moving and you wont be stuck!

In seriousness, momentum does help. Also

Good tires (R1's) and/or chains.
Front end loader can help to get unstuck.
Using differential lock (or independently apply brake to tire that is spinning (to apply torque to tire that isn't)).
You'd be surprised where a tractor can go!

Also static friction his a higher coefficient than kinetic friction. That's a physicists fancy way of saying a tire making solid contact with the ground (or payment) has a stronger bite than a tire that is spinning/skidding. (Drag racers know this. Also the concept behind anti-lock brakes). Have some speed, but if possible control the torque so that tire's ground contact is static (i.e. not spinning). The problem is muddy ground can't withstand much torque so this becomes very, very difficult.
Then it becomes a race: Do you run out of momentum, speed, and torque (between tire and ground) before you travel the distance of the mud hole?

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #13  
Also static friction his a higher coefficient than kinetic friction. That's a physicists fancy way of saying a tire making solid contact with the ground (or payment) has a stronger bite than a tire that is spinning/skidding. (Drag racers know this. Also the concept behind anti-lock brakes). Have some speed, but if possible control the torque so that tire's ground contact is static (i.e. not spinning). The problem is muddy ground can't withstand much torque so this becomes very, very difficult.
Then it becomes a race: Do you run out of momentum, speed, and torque (between tire and ground) before you travel the distance of the mud hole?

adding to. from my own experience. instead of trying a higher gear, to cause the tires to spin...
goto a lower gear. and less throttle and work the split brakes (left and right rear tire brakes). the low gear, less throttle and the just working slowly on the brakes to keep both tires from not spinning.

diff lock is all good and all. but when ya get yourself in a hole the rear tires. one will want to see more force to get it turn while the other one just spins. and the need for one rear tire to barely spin while other tire spins just a little bit more. to bite on through the mud and get you up and out.

if you due end up in a hole and stuck. have found, grabbing a jack and board to place under the jack, lifting each tire up. and tossing some rock under each tire. tends to help the best. granted having rock is the issue many times. trying to place a board under the tires for like a bridge/ramp just eats the rubber off the tires is my experience. and you end up needing to dig the board back out of the mud. some how managed to have approx 5 gallon bucket of rock laying in some bag (bag you get from local hardware stores)

rocking tractor back and forth. has work for me as well. but it is keeping the tires from spinning as you rock back and forth (forward/reverse). if the tires begin to slip just a little bit back off. and go opposite direction. spinning tires just sink you further, at least in my experience. (kinda like turning on a tiller and just dropping it without moving, the tiller begins to sink down)

the rare times i actually let tires spin, is when i am just about out of (rocking) above. and tires are actually grabbing dirt/mud and tossing it behind the tires. vs the mud loading up the tires and loosing momentum and traction. but even then. i try my best to keep the spinning to bare min. and never punch the pedal as far as it will go to spin the tires as fast as they can.

=========

the back lake. the dam on it has a grass/trail going down into the pasture. if the grass is just a bit wet (morning dew), it can be a pain getting up it with a truck. 4WD actually hurts more than helps. has been my experience in different 4WD trucks. due to in 4WD once a tire begins loosing traction that tire will just speed up the RPM's and less power ends up going to the other wheels. and i just come to a stop and end up actually sliding back down. if i put truck/s in 2WD. i tend to "fish tail it" up as a tire slips rear end goes back and forth some. but even then. i am constantly fighting the tires and trying to keep them from spinning in first place. any spinning = lose of traction and reduction in momentum to get me back on top of the hill. after so many loss of traction you just kinda petter out. even though i get so close from getting to the top. most of it for me, is finding the dry spots, and learning how the truck handles. (getting other folks out of the pasture)

while above is not tractors per say. it is that keeping the wheels from spinning thing.

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #14  
Rochester NY? Whey to early to be on wet grounds or to mow anything.What is your hurry,things are going to be growing all summer.Wait until at least the end of May.

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #15  
Most anyone that's ran a plow/disk/chisel has been stuck trying to get a field prepped. The smart operator stops before burying the tractor and gets help. Running one down into the mud onto the under belly is plain stupid and will almost guarantee damaged seals and mud intrusion into the running gear....
Good point. Much easier to suck it up and get help early. I would much rather spend the time getting amother truck or tractor and drag it out than spend a few hours knee deep in mud with a shovel, boards, gravel, etc...

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #16  
Add a couple of rear wheel extensions like this and you won't have to worry till you need a snorkel!:laughing:
YanmarInternationalPhoto.jpg

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #17  
I hit it moving at a decent speed with the Diff lock depressed and in 4x4. If I do manage to get stuck once it becomes obvious I'm not driving out I stop and get help. My tractor had spent quite a bit of time in mud and it cost me both seals on the front axel.

/ Crossing Mud and Standing Water #18  
If I'm just driving through a muddy spot that is somewhat of a concern I will go through it backwards. I have found that the shorter, narrow front tires become stuck easier. If I go through backwards, the large rear tires have a better chance of pulling the rest of the tractor through. It also seems more natural use the loader to help push me along.
Of course, if you have an attachment on the 3 point this may not work as well.