Crowning a stone driveway

/ Crowning a stone driveway #11  
Land plane does a good job. Rear blade has a steaper learning curve.

/ Crowning a stone driveway #12  
At the beginning and middle of my driveway I leave a couple woop-de-does. Just to slow the knotheads down. My driveway - mile long - straight as an arrow - right down the section line.

Visiting "friends" would brag about how fast they got up to on my driveway. Brings back humorous memories. One yahhoo got sideways - thru the barbed wire fence and out into the neighbors pasture. When he finally got it stuck - all the Herefords came over to greet him. Probably thought this fool was there to feed them.

/ Crowning a stone driveway #13  
Adjust-ability helps moving gravel side-to-side and to create crown:

/ Crowning a stone driveway
I have a mile long GRAVEL driveway. The gravel size - 3/4". The surface is gravel, sand, silt and volcanic ash. In the summer it is hard as concrete.

I have a Land Pride LPGS - GS2584. It has scarifiers and weighs 800 pounds. The scarifiers are definitely needed to break the surface - so the two blades can do their job.

I do not know what the OP means by "stone". Here I would call railroad ballast - stone. 2 1/2 inch to 4 inch in size. Something that definitely CAN NOT be worked with a LPGS.

Another point - DO NOT expect an LPGS to either create or eliminate a crown on a gravel driveway. This type implement simply will not do this type job. It breaks the surface and lays it back down. Basically in the exact same place. It DOES eliminate surface imperfections - washboard, lumps, bumps, even some minor wash outs.

I improve the crown, eliminate potholes, clear the ditches with my heavy duty Rhino rear blade. Then, if we ever get any snow, the rear blade clears the driveway.

Even with the scarifiers full down - I've never had a problem pulling the LPGS. There ARE a few spots where I put the tractor in 4WD. Otherwise - it's basically a 2WD operation. It is a slow operation but when finished - that section of the driveway looks brand new.

With either the rear blade or LPGS on the 3-point - the tractor weight a bit over 10K pounds. It has 1550 pounds of RimGuard in the rear tires also.
oosik
Our driveway material sounds similar. The 'stone' that is somewhat visible is the same 3/4" top dressing that is still too thick and loose in another section of driveway. I spoke with a local pit looking for limestone and fines. Apparently its not available in my area, but they said that my driveway is probably a mixture of stone, 3/4", sand and soil, as that is what is commonly used for road beds locally. After I run the land plane a few times I'll have extra top dressing to apply if its too dirty/sandy. Though I doubt that will be needed. I like the way its as hard as concrete in the summer. The top inch or so does get mushy when the frost goes out. I appreciate the point that a LPGS wont change the crown either way. We recently received 10 inches of heavy/wet snow. The front snow thrower was already removed. Using the FEL, in 4W, no chains, and having Rim Guard in the rear, I couldn't move three feet with the bucket down, on the steeper, uphill sections of my driveway. That's why I am concerned about the heavier GS15 series over the 05 series. Maybe I'm over thinking this as the driveway wont be "slippery" when I dress it. I run a Kubota LX2610 (24hp) I appreciate your input!

/ Crowning a stone driveway #15  
My steep driveway is 14-16 degrees of slope or 25% to 28% slope.
I only used rippers one time on my driveway with a box blade, never again.
I will dress it out with my back blade at quite an angle to cut and fill any ruts or wash board. Even with 10,000 pounds and 80 hp I do the heavy work down hill and then lightly dress and shape going up hill. My back blade does have hydraulic tilt and angle and can be offset.

I do not find a "crown" to be effective in controlling water erosion, my driveway is too steep for an adequate crown to overcome wheel travel low spots. I have gone to a flat with a slight slope to it and I put water cuts across it at a steep diagonal to direct rain off of the driveway.

Also I would be very leery of a steel drum roller on a steep driveway it will lose traction and be uncontrollable.
Work it downhill and if and when needed carry material up the hill, normally it is counter productive to try and do much work while traveling up a steep grade.

An option to move material uphill and grade will be to hire a dozer and operator.

fang 2.jpg
fang 1.jpg

water cuts 1.jpg

I can put these cuts in while coasting and using the brakes in most of the driveway.

/ Crowning a stone driveway
I've decided to go with the 150lb heavier 1560. I want the LPGS to ride and not bounce when the material gets light. If I need to move material around I'll use the box blade. Now I have a better understanding of what to expect. Thank you all for sharing your experience and situation with the equipment you have.
I may not have the physical experience, but, I now have practical knowledge to apply. Be Safe.

/ Crowning a stone driveway #17  
In all reality - there is little to no need for a crown on my driveway. We average around 12 inches of rain per year. We are called - semi-arid. Max rainfall over any 24 hour period - 0.25 inch.

I have a valley in my driveway. Water off the fields to the north will run down one side of driveway. I keep trying to ditch this water. BUT the bedrock is so very close to the surface - it washes out any kind of ditch I can create.

SO...... every year I recreate the ditch AND with the rear blade - drag all the surface material back up that one side and fill any areas that may have "washes". It gives me something to do with my tractor and implements. The "washed" areas can never get that bad - bedrock is too close to the surface.

I would estimate that 50% of my mile long driveway has less than a foot of "material" over solid bedrock.

/ Crowning a stone driveway #18  
50” of rain per year, 280’ elevation in 2500’ winding thru woods need to keep water off the road. Little is crowned, mostly sloped to one side or the other. Land plane has greatly reduced maintenance time and cost. Mainly used to smooth tracks out to prevent water from channeling and washing out gravel.

By design, managing fines, reducing material disturbance while maintaining a packed surface. Simple and elegant solution. Don’t pretend to understand all the science and engineering behind it. 50 years maintaining this 330 year old wagon trail is much easier with a land plane.

/ Crowning a stone driveway #19  
The LP has been more effective removing washboard than the box scraper aka gannon. Due to the angled blades and the 500 pound water barrel added to it. Otherwise the gannon is the best grading tool when it comes to moving and smoothing material.

/ Crowning a stone driveway #20  
The only thing that touches my driveway is my landscape rake. Pull the gravel back from the edges and tilt it slightly to maintain the crown.
Down one side pulling the gravel back from the edges then the same back down the other side.

Attachments

• Oct 31 2021 pasture.jpg
    Oct 31 2021 pasture.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 25