Crows and growing garden corn

/ Crows and growing garden corn #21  
Lol thats a good rule, the groundhog last year got a ton of my beans. This year i bought a 6volt electric fence, and a solar charger. He his going to earn that meal this year.
later
Forgeblast

/ Crows and growing garden corn #22  
forgeblast said:
Lol thats a good rule, the groundhog last year got a ton of my beans. This year i bought a 6volt electric fence, and a solar charger. He his going to earn that meal this year.
later
Forgeblast

Let us know how well that groundhog does, don't be surprised if he/she shows up with the entire family.

To fight off the coons up here I put a single 25 watt light in the center of the corn patch. Only time they will bother the corn is if the light bulb burns out. Have it on a day/night sensor so it comes on at dark and goes off in the morning. It has worked for me.

/ Crows and growing garden corn #23  
Wayne, I'm not disputing your success with the light keeping raccoons away, but I've come home at night many times to find coons eating bugs beneath my garage door flood light. I'm afraid that if I put a light in my corn patch, all I'd get is a "thank you" card from the coons.:confused: :D

/ Crows and growing garden corn #24  
jinman said:
Wayne, I'm not disputing your success with the light keeping raccoons away, but I've come home at night many times to find coons eating bugs beneath my garage door flood light. I'm afraid that if I put a light in my corn patch, all I'd get is a "thank you" card from the coons.:confused: :D

Hey Jim, not to worry but for more than ten years now we have been able to enjoy sweet corn and it is mainly because of the

"light at night"!

Prior to that I tried just about everything including putting a radio down it the area, guess they like music, cutting garden hose to make it look like a bunch of snakes (nope), electric fence (bad year no corn), sitting up all night waiting on them and giving up around 4 AM only to find in the morning they showed up slight later and got the corn (another bad year with no corn)

Then someone told me to put a light out there and they would not enter the area. (I use a 25 watt refrigerator light bulb and over the years had modified the location and protection of the light bulb).

Tried and it seemed to worked, then one night we had a major rain storm and the light burnt out. Next morning the corn patch looked with a major battlefield.

So I guess I am sticking with the light pole for another year.

Wayne