Crude Oil

/ Crude Oil #21  
One of the interesting points of view I saw years and years ago ... when I was still "in the business" - working at an oil sands plant .... is that it will become affordable to develop sources like oil sands, oil shale and other 'huge effort' operations ... is when we find cost effective uses for the byproducts. For instance, if the byproduct of oil shale (the product being oil, of course) was shale compressed into strong building blocks .... or the byproduct of oil sand was glass or silicon or something produced with the clean sand .... the oil would be rasonably priced.
Heck, when I started at Syncrude, the Canadian/Alberta government was guaranteeing $28/bbl as that was about the break-even point (it was incredibly expensive to build the plant) .... the cost of running the plant brought the break even to under $18/bbl when I left there in the early '80's .... if that's maintained .... the profits are really sliding in now .... petroleum doesn't get much cleaner than that "synthetic" crude. Imagine how much lower the price would be if money could be made from the byproducts ....

/ Crude Oil #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My thoughts? Another hoax. Try reading this. )</font>

I agree. The data in the chain mail is BS. I used to work for Citgo; they have refineries in Corpus Christi and Houston TX, Louisiana, and Illinois. Although a majority interest in the company is now owned by the Venezuelan state oil company and they try to refine their own oil first, they can't always supply themselves and they buy the rest on the open market at the Houston Ship Channel or whatever other pipeline or tanker is closest.

Bottom line, we now import 64% of all our crude oil needs. 27% of all our needs (about half of all the imported) comes from OPEC countries, 20% of all our imports come the Persian Gulf, and 13% of all imports come from Saudi Arabia, so the chances of your being able to boycott only Saudi Arabian crude are slim to none. Here are the hard facts if anyone cares to read for themselves: API web page

/ Crude Oil #23  
Bird, hope you and yours are doing well.
Thank you for the web site.
I have waited to hear from TBN, I sent that address to the individual that sent me the e-mail. Asked her to read it.

Seems that kind of mis-information is getting more frequent.

Kind of like the one about the Koran where they claim it says the eagle will do bad things to...... If you received it you know what it said, if you did not receive it I won't further the erroneous claim it contained.

God Bless US All.

/ Crude Oil #25  
Isn't it really the total costs that are making people rethink the things they do? Ok, $60.00 more in gas, hotel went up x%, food went up x%, destination tickets went up x%, car insurance went up x%, medical insurance went up x%, electric bill went up 23%, etc. Most people's income does not raise at the same rate.
Got a delivery the other day, fuel surcharge of 13.5% It's added up to the point where I'm earning less.

/ Crude Oil #26  
I agree that total costs are all going up. And fuel price increase force many goods we all use to raise their prices. But ....hasn't this been going on forever? That's what the cost of living increases and inflation rate calculations are all about.

I don't like the cost of fuel going up any more than the next guy; and I sure don't want to defend the oil companies. But the point of my post was to point out that it's not as bad as it seems at first.

My summer recreation / passion is boating. Last year I regularly paid $2.25 a gallon (on the water) to fill my 66 gallon tank. This year I'm afraid it will be closer to $3 a gallon (on the water). I will have to save some extra cash for boating over the summer, but, price increase or not, I know I'll be boating; I just might be sitting idle or beaching it a little more than last year.

Moon of Ohio