Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #1  

bxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5055e
I've narrowed my search to the new standard B-series. But, I'm hung up on the operation of the split brakes, which is an important feature for me with plowing (both snow and single-bottom). This is more important for snow plowing, as I'm obviously changing speed more often than a straight-shot with turning soil.

I've learned from another board member that the cruise can be set and not interrupted if the brakes are split (apparently, locked, use of the brakes kicks off the cruise). My question is, can you change speed with the cruise lever on the new machines the way you could with the mechanical cruise on the B7510/B7610 models? Or, does the positioning of the brakes on the same side as the hydro pedals defeat the ability to use both - unless you're "heel and toeing" it?

I did find it handy on my John Deere 2320 to have the ability to lock up the right or left pedal and gingerly apply hydro power at the same time to push back snow banks without stuffing the tractor in the ditch that lines both sides of my road. I had to go slowly and if I took it too far in, I could simply let off the hydrostatic... I don't know how I'd do that with the cruise lever in front, unless it offers the same "mechanical cruise control" function of the older B-series.

If it's not possible, then I guess my decision on my next tractor comes down to a trade-off: either get split brakes on the left or get a 3-range hydro. But not both.

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #2  
I've found that to use the loader in float will leave the front tires on the ground and steer the tractor in all but some cases and when that happens I just pick the loader a bit and then put it back into float.

I do believe they are both the same as far as the cruise and the brakes between the old and the newer model.

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #3  
I have a B2920. Just went through a huge snowfall. We had 20 inches which in my portion of Maryland is alot (you Michigan guys be quiet)

I have a 1500 foot lane to blade. Did ok without using the brakes. I -might- play with them. I did not use them or need them all all for my FEL work in clearing the 4 foot high snow berms that were put up my our country road department where our private lane hits the county road.

So for me, I haven't found it to be much of a issue.

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920
For me, the split brakes are more of a "need" in my mind - as opposed to a "want." Once you know how to operate with them, they greatly reduce turning radius and allow for control of the front end when it's pushed around by a blade. I wouldn't be using the FEL for snow removal, so floating won't help.

Back to my original question - can you control speed with the new lever beneath the steering wheel or not? If not, I'm concerned that there's no value in the split brakes on a B-series since they're on the same side as the hydro control. I may have to put up with the annoyance of the 2-range John Deere hydro (i.e. low is too low, high is too high).

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #5  
The speed control on the B2x20 series is mechanical. You would have to adjust your travel speed with the hydro pedal and then reset cruise. If you're all about split brakes, I think the setup on the new B's is less than ideal (and for me entirely useless).

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #6  
I never use the split brakes or cruise control but I can tell you that you would need a huge foot to operate the hydro pedal and one of the brake pedals at the same time. I think I tried it once. You can only set one speed at a time with the lever. The cruise control will disengage when you hit both brake pedals or when you hit the forward acceleration side of the hst pedal, so you can steer with the brake pedals separated but only at the preset speed. Good luck.

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #7  
I don't know much about your original question regarding the operation of the cruise control on a B2920. I have a B3030. With that you can adjust your forward speed with the hand cruise lever while using the split brakes. With that said however, I have done that maybe twice in over 300 hrs of using the FEL, Rearblade, MMM and two bottom 14" plow.
What I have found is that on these relatively small tractors you can't do much to change direction while pushing something with the FEL by using the brakes. The tractors are just too small and light to have much effect with using the brakes for steering. What does work is having the tractor in 4WD and putting some weight on the front wheels with the loader control. The front wheels will then have enough traction to steer you in the direction you want to go. It is just a matter of learing how to use the capabilities of the machine in a way that is different from what you may be used to doing.

Same with turning dirt with moldboard plow. Use the differential lock and the 4WD steering. No need for the brakes.

As for the trade off between split brakes on the left side and a 2 speed trans vs. brakes on the right and a 3 speed trans, it is an easy decision. 3 is better than 2 every time. Much more important than needing split brakes occasionally. Good luck.

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #8  
snip snip snip

Back to my original question - can you control speed with the new lever beneath the steering wheel or not? If not, I'm concerned that there's no value in the split brakes on a B-series since they're on the same side as the hydro control. I may have to put up with the annoyance of the 2-range John Deere hydro (i.e. low is too low, high is too high).

You drive the speed that you want, then push the cruise control lever down, then you can lift the foot off the hydrostatic peddle and the speed will remain. When you hit the the hydrostatic peddle again, the cruise control will pop out.

If you're under cruise control and want to go a little faster, you apply additional pressure to the hydrostatic peddle, the cruise control will pop out, but since the hydrostatic peddle is depressed further the speed will increase, then you lock the cruise control at the new speed.

If you're under cruise control and want to go slower, you apply additional pressure to the hydrostatic, the cruise control will pop out, and then you drop the hydro peddle to a slower speed and re-engage the cruise control.

The tractor will slow down under cruise control when going up a hill. The tractor will speed up under cruise control when going down a hill. So it's no where near as nice as a automotive cruise control which will add or subtract throttle to keep the ground speed the same. This is more akin to locking the gas peddle in a set position.

This is also exactly the same way it works on my John Deere 425 mower.

On both I find that there is a little gap (slop) between what the hydro is set at and what the cruise control holds. The tractor or mower will go just a tad slower then under cruise control then what I set the peddle at. So I always go a little faster then I want to when setting cruise control. Then when it slows to the cruise control, it's at the right speed.

Is that what you wanted?

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920
taborekle -

That's what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Sounds like it operates the same as the JD 2320/2520 cruise.

Why do you suppose they did away with the mechanical style on the B7510/7610 these tractors replaced? I guess it frees up some hip room. I did notice the B2630/3030 has the 4WD lever down lower than the rest of the lever controls.

It seems as though it's a matter of adjusting driving styles to the tractor. As I posted earlier, it was darn handy making use of the split brakes on my previous tractor when plowing snow, as the road I maintain is crowned pretty sharply. So, on the off-camber side, the brakes would help keep it going in a straight line and keep me from slipping into the ditch. When I did take it too far into the banks, I could use the split brakes to help extricate myself - never requiring me to pull the tractor out with my truck. I had an 84" blade on the 2320, which was much wider than the factory-available one and obviously, would leverage the front end. That said, it never overpowered the tractor to such a degree that the split brakes couldn't correct. I was very impressed with that tractor's ability to plow deep snow with a huge blade. Hoping to get the same use out of my next tractor.

It's just a matter of deciding between another 2320, upgrading to a 2520 (with the same limitations re: 2-range hydro) or jumping over to a B-series. I think the B2630 is priced too high for the advantages over the B2620 - that would solve the split brake issue and give me position control. But, it is a much bigger footprint (relatively speaking) than I want for work in the woods - I've been impressed with the pics posted by ChuckinNH of his B2620 with chipper in dense trees as its size seems "just right."

/ Cruise control operation on new B2320, 2620 or 2920 #10  
Yes I've been really pleased with the small size of my B2920. I can fit it into my garage with the ROPES up, so getting in and out of the garage is just as easy as parking a car.

I also have some very small 4 wheeler trails behind my house, and as far as the width of the tractor is concerned, I have had no problems getting it back on these trails. I've had some small trees fall over the trails, and I will go back and get the tractor, FEL, a chain saw and my pull chain and be able to open up the trails.

I also have a very small gravel pit that I can operate in.