CT 235 for Hay work

/ CT 235 for Hay work #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Anyone here use their CT 235 in small custom hay production? I am headed in that direction for some fun and something to do in my retirement

I have picked up a good IH 1300 sickle mower for cutting (9 foot model), and will soon be getting a side delivery rake (either JD 350 or Ford 503) I know I have the HP for running these as they are very easy going units.

I'm trying to find a good JD24T baler as it appears I have the HP to run it. Do folks know of other good small models such as NH brand?

What this means I could be running 12 to 16 hours a day during production. Anyone worked their tractor that hard and have you had any issues. I am glad I have the deluxe seat though:)

Thoughts?

/ CT 235 for Hay work #2  
I bought a drum mower this last year and it works fine on my CT235. A hay rake should not be an issue if sized within reason. On the baler my neighbor has a small JD baler he will let me use but this last year I decided to not bale and just raked and made a stack. There are a few older balers that have the auxiliary motors that may also be an alternative to the JD24. I think making hay on a small scale is doable. That deluxe seat is awesome. I mow my lawn area with a JDX304 and dread the seat on it compared to running all day on the CT235. One thing I have found with running long hours is to be sure to clean the radiator screen often depending on conditions. Mine can get clogged pretty quick. No issue on over heating yet but that pullout screen catches a ton of stuff. I look at hours as hours on our heavy equipment and just stay focused on the PM schedule. Good luck and keep us posted.

/ CT 235 for Hay work
If I may ask, What drum mower did you get, and what kind of rake are you using?

Merry Christmas to all

/ CT 235 for Hay work #4  
If I may ask, What drum mower did you get, and what kind of rake are you using?

Merry Christmas to all

I bought the ranch rite dm 165 mower. It is made in Turkey. Overall, I think it is decent quality for me. I just use a 3 wheel rake I bought off Craigslist. I don't have a tedder but it is pretty dry here in Montana. The drum mower makes a nice row to work with for handling. I am thinking of using a tripod haystack this coming year, Swedish style. My goal is minimal hay handling, maximum stockpiling for my sheep. However, I always want some hay for emergency.

https://www.rite-products.com/Ranch-Rite-DM-165br65-Drum-Hay-Mower_p_801358.html

/ CT 235 for Hay work
The specification on it say 35 PTO HP. are you having any issues with tractor power? I am assuming your working with typical hay composed of Timothy, Crested Wheat, or Brome grasses with a bit of clover or maybe a bit of alfalfa mixed in

As for your 3 wheel rake - is it ground driven or PTO. I'm trying to find out what works to get a good windrow. . Any more information would be appreciated, including the altitude where you at in the Big Sky State :thumbsup:

Thanks an Happy Holidays

/ CT 235 for Hay work #6  
Actually, the 35hp refers to tractor HP not to pto HP. My CT 235 easily runs the mower through a brome mixed pasture. The Bobcats are heavy and that helps with the weight of the mower. It would be nice to have hydraulic extension on the mower but it swings fairly easy by hand. The rake is ground driven. If I was getting a better setup I would look for a used side delivery rake. I am located up in the Mission Valley, MT.

The Haymag unit that is virtually identical calls for 28HP at the PTO. So our CT235 is close to the correct size. I think the main thing is how many acres an hour you want to cut. Haymag T165 Drum Mower- 28 PTO hp min- durable design for harvesting all hay types, 6 acres/hr;

Turkey has a cottage industry of making virtually the same design drum mower at all kinds of little factories. I am sure some use better metal, bearing etc than others but drum mowers are very simple. I did not want to get a sickle mainly because of maintenance. The ranch rite is "right" for my place.

Last edited: