CT440 electrical arc

/ CT440 electrical arc #1  

barneysfarm

Tractor
Kubota m5700
While operating ct440 died, not even a click to re-start. Removed and charged battery, cleaned connections, re-installed pos side first and when connecting neg (gnd), massive arc.
Something not fused (+12vdc) is apparently grounded - anyone have a similar scenario? I guess I'll start with the easy connections (alt, strtr, lights) then move to switches and relays.
Any advice is appreciated.

/ CT440 electrical arc #2  
If you didn't get an arc when disconnecting things be sure you connected the proper lead to the positive terminal. Also check to be sure you didn't inadvertently ground the positive terminal against something before reconnecting the negative terminal.

/ CT440 electrical arc #3  
Hey barny,do you know what a D19 is? Don't feel bad,many don't know what a ct440 is either but if you tell them you'll get better responses.
If one of these ct440s have an electric clutch or other device that draws a heavy load,you might want to make sure it's disengaged.

/ CT440 electrical arc #4  
Hey barny,do you know what a D19 is? Don't feel bad,many don't know what a ct440 is either but if you tell them you'll get better responses.
If one of these ct440s have an electric clutch or other device that draws a heavy load,you might want to make sure it's disengaged.
This is the Bobcat section of the forum and it only makes sense for the "CT440" to be the model. Essentially it's a Bobcat CT440 compact tractor.

/ CT440 electrical arc #5  
I know this is an old thread, but I had a similar situation with my CT440, which ended in the battery exploding while using a jumper box. The culprit was an internally corroded positive cable. No test discovered it. After the battery exploded, one of my friends suggested (actually insisted on) replacing all the cables, and the positive was autopsied. It's always had a vampire drain issue since I bought it used, so I installed a bayonet battery cut off switch as well. No (electrical) problems since. :-/