Cub Cadet 1250 problems

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #11  
I think I may have given you the wrong carb settings. Sorry. After reading the manual again, if your K301 has a Walbro carb, the low setting is 1 3/4 and the main idle is 1 1/8. Also, the manual says the points should be set to .020.

If you have a strong spark and a wet plug, it ought to run.

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #12  
Timing can be affected as follows; keyway on flywheel gets loose or begins to shear. Magneto out of adjustment. Valve spring broken.
Do you have compression?
Will it fire with starting fluid?

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems
I'll reset the points to .020 and try again. I have the Kohler carb so we're good there.

If it dosent run I might just give up on it till summer

Timing can be affected as follows; keyway on flywheel gets loose or begins to shear. Magneto out of adjustment. Valve spring broken.
Do you have compression?
Will it fire with starting fluid?

It wouldn't fire with starting fluid.

How would I go about checking the flywheel, and what should I look for? I don't know all that much about engines yet.
Also how would I check the magneto and the valve springs?

It wouldn't start after adjusting the points again.

I do have compression, I just put a new head gasket on it

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #15  
If it will not fire with starting fluid, you have an ignition problem. I would change the points and condensor; do not use chinese junk points. Buy Kohler points and condensor. Set them at .020. It should run at these settings. You may have a coil problem also.
This is an interesting problem; you have everything you need to run; spark, compression, fuel.
I would put another plug in it if you did not do it yet. Stop by your local Kohler dealer and explain it to them. When you go; take coil, points and condensor and plug with you so they can look at them. Get their opinion on them. ( hopefully they have a good mechanic.)
Good luck.

I just bought new points condencor and coil. So I'm going to get a new plug and see if that fires. if not I'll be doing what you said and taking it to Kohler. If they can't do it, I'll eat the battery

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #17  
Are they kohler parts or aftermarket parts? Just saw a problem with "cheap" parts that were junk out of the box; almost same problem as you. these Kohlers are good most of the time, seem to run forever. Coils go bad at about 500 hours but that is 50 million plug firings.
Did not know if you had a manual; so here is one for you.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_1346_c_all.pdf

Yes I bought Kohler parts.
I'm gonna hook the charger up to it tomorrow and try starterfluid again.

The strangest thing is I used to have no problems with it before then head gasket blew, but it was old so I didn't think much of it. after that I started having all sorts of problems. I replaced the head gasket, then started having ignition problems. got that sorted out and had point problems, thats why I got new condecer and coil along with the points. After that it ran for a few days, after that it backfired and died, now it wont start at all

Thanks for the manual

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #19  
Try and remove cowling, etc to expose the flywheel. Remove bolt that holds flywheel on along with washer. Look closely at the keyway; does it look like it is in good condition? If you want; put nut back on till it is flush with end of crank; usinfg a piece of wood and a mini sledge; rap the nut; it should loosen flywheel so you can remove it. It will take a good rap to free tapered shaft.nNow you can examine keyway.