Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem.

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #1  

Kmicah40

Tractor
John Deere 5320, ‘56 Ford 601 (been in family since new), 2010 Kubota 900RTV, Cub Cadet 2284, Cub Cadet 2064
I have a problem with a 22hp re-powered Predator engine that I have installed in my Cub Cadet 2284 tractor. Engine has ran flawless the last 2 years. Now it has problem that every time I mow going down hill it will stop running. I have an 12V electric fuel pump that I use to get gas flow to the carburetor. Also mowing going up hill the engine will rev up to a higher rpm, on its own, almost every time. Most of the time when it stalls out it will restart and I can continue to mow until the next down hill direction is encountered. Couple times I had issue where I could not get it to restart. I checked to make sure fuel pump was doing the job, which it was. This is where it gets crazy. I thought then maybe I was having problem electrically so I pulled one of the plug wires to check if I was getting spark. When I cranked the engine it started immediately which I thought was strange. The second time it happened the same thing happened. It would crank and crank and would not attempt to start. All I had to do was pull the plug wire and it starts.

Thanks for any advice you might have.
Larry H

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #2  
Float in the carb is set too high. Top of float should be level with the part line where the bowl mounts to the body.

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem.
Thanks for that information. I will look at that tomorrow.

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #4  
The best way to check the fuel level without much hassle is to attach a length of clear hose to the bottom drain on the carb and lay it against the carb body. The fuel level will show in the clear hose as to how high (or low) it is. Could also be a stuck needle valve in the carb body as well.

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #5  
Never had any issues with the Pred engines I have but they are touchy when it comes to stale fuel. I use Blue Marine Stabil in my gas all the time.

The best way to check the fuel level without much hassle is to attach a length of clear hose to the bottom drain on the carb and lay it against the carb body. The fuel level will show in the clear hose as to how high (or low) it is. Could also be a stuck needle valve in the carb body as well.
Great idea. I’ll do that.

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #7  
It could be as simple as some water in bowl.

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #8  
Depending on the oil level, it could be tripping the low oil shutdown. If you are responsible and check the oil religiously, you could disconnect it.

I used to have a Honda engine on a compressor. If it wasn't very close to level, it would shut down or not start.

Before you mess with the carb, check the low oil switch

Depending on the oil level, it could be tripping the low oil shutdown. If you are responsible and check the oil religiously, you could disconnect it.

I used to have a Honda engine on a compressor. If it wasn't very close to level, it would shut down or not start.

Before you mess with the carb, check the low oil switch
This problem was driving me crazy as to why it was happening. After reading your suggestion I thought that could very well be my issue. I always check oil level before I mow. I’m thinking the oil sensor unit is some place close to the flywheel side of the engine and going downhill the oil level has disappeared, where the sensor is located, and shifted to other end of engine. Currently when mowing downhill and engine dies it will not restart until I move tractor to more level ground. Then it starts. So I want to know where is this ‘low oil switch’ located.

LS Tractor Owner, thanks so much for your response.
Larry H

/ Cub Cadet 2284 Tractor Predator engine problem. #10  
Most engines survive being slightly overfilled with oil,,
I would add oil until the oil is 1/4" too high on the dipstick, then try the hill again.

If the engine is not blowing smoke like you are fogging for mosquitoes,, you are OK>

Also, different dipsticks need to be checked differently.
Are you checking the oil per the owners manual,, or "doing it the way you always have"

Some you screw in, others only until they touch,, etc,, that can vary oil level a LOT.