Cub Cadet 2518 running issues.

/ Cub Cadet 2518 running issues. #1  

Kmicah40

Tractor
John Deere 5320, ‘56 Ford 601 (been in family since new), 2010 Kubota 900RTV, Cub Cadet 2284, Cub Cadet 2064
Have a Cub Cadet 2518 tractor mower with Kohler CH20 engine. Was having issues with the wiring harness so decided to do away with existing harness and wire the engine from ignition switch to everything I was needing to be able to get tractor running so I can mow my lawn. First problem I have is the engine will start but have to choke all the time and after a few seconds it will die. I thought I had a carburetor issue so got a new carburetor and installed it today. It did not change the problem I was having, so am I having something else that I need to be checking with the way I have done my wiring. The second problem is when turning the ignition switch to off position it will not stop the engine. There must be a “kill switch” that I need to wire up. I’m not very good at these type electrical issues, so any help is sure appreciated.

Thanks.
Larry H

/ Cub Cadet 2518 running issues. #2  
It is likely that you have the standard coil set up that requires a ground to the coil to shut the engine off. They have a white wire normally, yours have access covers above the coils to see? These coils are never powered. You would need need power to the anti backfire solenoid at the base of the carb though if yours has one.

/ Cub Cadet 2518 running issues.
It is likely that you have the standard coil set up that requires a ground to the coil to shut the engine off. They have a white wire normally, yours have access covers above the coils to see? These coils are never powered. You would need need power to the anti backfire solenoid at the base of the carb though if yours has one.
Thanks for your response to my issues. I did some more research and with me doing away with the wiring harness I figured I had a wiring issue that I had not addressed. Thinking it had to be a fuel issue and the new carburetor I installed having a solenoid I checked to see if it was getting 12V which it has to have. Well no voltage at all, so I wired direct from key switch “A” connection point and that took care of both problems I was having.

Thanks again for you answer.
Larry H