Cub Cadet 2542

/ Cub Cadet 2542
i love it very nice and smooth much better than the cub 2140 i had

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #12  
I have a 2518 which is basically what the 2544 was relabled. Great Machine.
Does a great job.

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #13  
new GT2542 owner here. Note problem with hour meter. If key left on by mistake, hour meter continues to run. I now have 50 some hours (1 years worth of W.) instead of just 6 hours. Item for others to take note of.
Also looking for any info on snow blade for this model. I have exploded picture off net (302/42), but does not show attachment to tractor frame. One other item, the display shown battery voltage before engine starts but lights quickly drawn down voltage reading so I disconnected lights to see voltage (guess what ?..display reads 12.4 while a good VOM reads 12.9 So much for accuracy. Also noticed big "china" marking on hydro casting, not too far below made in USA.
Really do like it tho, just had to get that out. Later I will post for help in finding alternate hydro for the tractor it replaced (8 year old YardKing with AWS and 43 inch cut). Would like to find a manual tranny to replace defunct peerless hydro.
charlie in vt

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #14  
Pretty much every hour meter I know of comes on when the key is switched to run regardless if engine is running or not, just something one has to be aware of and careful about. The on-dash voltmeter I'm sure was designed only to give a general idea and not made for the highest of accuracy. I think the deal with the China marking on the axle is that it is cast in China, yet assembled in USA. (I see a lot of this on new cars today, stating engine or transmission assembled in USA from foreign and domestic components.)

I'll bet there is some electronic techno-geek out there who knows how to reset those digital hour meters :)

In regards to your Yard King, it may be difficult to find any other transaxle to retrofit to it, especailly being an AWS. But, why not rebuild the Peerless hydro? Many people think the sealed hydros are not rebuildable, which is simply untrue- the parts are available and if you like adventure you could tackle it. Dealers don't fuss with them as the labor costs would be excessive, but if one can go it themself and had the time it would probably be about a $100-200 job to replace the basic wear parts inside a hydro.

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #15  
Thanks for the hydro input, just might try that.
Re hour meter, why not hook up the 12V that drives it to the engine ignition or some similar point, so that when the engine is not running, neither is the hour meter ?? something for me to explore!
Did find out that engine runs with display connector disconnected.
I discussed problem with dealer and he said he would contact CC W. department for their comments on problem. I said, one solution is leave meter disconnected for 1 year (the extra 50 hours), or leave 12V on at the meter for 6 weeks (the amount necessary to turn over the 1000 hour display. Don't think he took me seriously. He suggested a new meter but at $40, nah.
charlie in vt
new GG2542
broken Yardking 43' AWS.
PS- looking at snow blades. Have found part number 190-833. Any comments or others available.

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #16  
I actually had to explore something similar to this when I first installed my Honda engine kit. I couldn't get power to the ignition when the key was in start, only when in run. I found the hour meter circuit was the only spot that stays hot in run and start, and had to jumper it to the ignition terminal, which on most small engines is also the positive side of the alternator (Regulator/Rectifier) output. Everything on the postive terminals of the engine including ignition (12V primary side), alternator, and carburetor solenoid are on from battery power once the key is in run regardless if the engine is running or not.

About the only answer I could think of to correct this would be to add an oil pressure switch, and then wire the hour meter through that. Another possibility is most small engines have a governor arm that moves once the engine starts, maybe a micro-switch contacting that arm?

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #17  
Does anyone have any problems with the Cub GT 2542 cutting uneven? We just got this one last week and they have had it back trying to adjust the blades and today the belt broke, Maybe I just got the only bad one? I HOPE

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #18  
I wonder if they put the front holding bracket on upside down. Its possible as I did it yesterday but then noticed the belt rubbed on the bracket. The other side of the bracket is cut out for the necessary clearance. Just a thought....they must have done something wrong and the help you get now is well, questionable.
charlie in vt

/ Cub Cadet 2542 #19  
vtcress said:
I wonder if they put the front holding bracket on upside down. Its possible as I did it yesterday but then noticed the belt rubbed on the bracket. The other side of the bracket is cut out for the necessary clearance. Just a thought....they must have done something wrong and the help you get now is well, questionable.
charlie in vt

I did this same thing the first time I put the deck back on my 2554. I noticed right away the deck wouldn't lift properly and figured out what I'd done...