Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On #1  

thorn

Tractor
JD 5525, JD 870
Hi, I have a Cub Cadet 48" Tank zero turn that I've had for almost 20 years. I'm starting to have issues as it is getting older, stuck valve, hydraulic leak, bad relays, magneto etc. One problem I can't figure out is that as it warms up and I turn off the blades/PTO it will not always come back on. If pull the switch and I go forward fast it will come on but might need a couple of tries. It never goes off on it's own, only when I turn it off and try to turn it back on. Before it was after I ran it for over 1/2 hour it would start to act up. Now it's doing it just after I start mowing. There are switches and relay for the seat/brake/power for safety. I'm wondering if it is the electric clutch, maybe not engaging after it warms up. The PTO switch goes right to it without a relay.

Anyone see anything like this?

Since this one is getting old, I'm also thinking about getting another mower, maybe more like a tractor type vs zero turn.

Thanks

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On #2  
It could certainly be a worn clutch. They will do that. You would ideally have a meter or light with you when it does this to verify voltage at the clutch body connector. Cub gets real money for their clutches, but can be sourced elsewhere.

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On #3  
Might need to adjust the clutch air gap

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On #4  
mini's idea is a great one if your clutch happens to be adjustable. Fingers crossed.

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On #5  
Ive had that happen on my scag.

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On
OK, I'll take a look to see if one can adjust it and I'll check the voltage. I cut grass for over an hour yesterday and did fine without turning the blades off. Turned it off and it didn't want to come back on.

I found them on line, $400-$800. Not cheap.

Thanks!

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On #7  
Are you familiar with adjusting them? If it is adjustable you will have 3-4 nuts below the plate with springs above the plate. You can look for a spec for a gap, which is usually about .012" is good. Due to wear, it can vary and isn't super critical. And many times it is tough to get up in there and a good read. With that being said, if you can turn each one in the same rotation to the point where you are able to get a read is good- that works too.

/ Cub Cadet 48" Tank Blades Don't Always Turn On
Are you familiar with adjusting them? If it is adjustable you will have 3-4 nuts below the plate with springs above the plate. You can look for a spec for a gap, which is usually about .012" is good. Due to wear, it can vary and isn't super critical. And many times it is tough to get up in there and a good read. With that being said, if you can turn each one in the same rotation to the point where you are able to get a read is good- that works too.

I never had to adjust one before.

There's a photo here: Clutch-Brake-1.125" Id 01001979P | Official MTD Part | Fast Shipping | PartSelect

I see 3 nuts on it.

There are some instructions in the manual:

BBC (PTO Clutch) air gap should not exceed 0.025”, if so, adjust as follows:
Ogura JD08, DX-11, GT-1A, GT-2, GT-2.5,
adjust to 0.012" - 0.015"
Ogura GT-3, GT3.5, adjust to 0.015" - 0.022"

I'll have to find my feeler gauges.

Thanks.