Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #11  
i have a cub cadet zero turn and the PTO clutch isbad, how do I go about changing it?

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #12  
i have a cub cadet zero turn and the PTO clutch isbad, how do I go about changing it?

Easy to replace
Unplug it, remove bolt in center, remove and replace. Not cheap though.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #13  
It sounds like your electric clutch is breaking down and getting hot. Once it cools down it will reengage. On some Cub clutches you have bolts you can adjust and the clutch will engage correctly.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #14  
I've spent a LOT of time recently working on my PTO flakiness so I sympathize. Keep in mind that there are 2 reverse switches on the RZT (at least the RZT 22). Both of them have to be released for the circuit to open and tell the PTO to shut off. That is, if only one lever is in reverse, it won't shut off. So, when you put them both out of reverse, they would *BOTH* have to be 'stuck' in order for that to be the problem. Not likely. The fact that you seem to have more trouble after the mower is hot might indicate problems with the relay, or (gasp) the PTO itself. Good luck!

I know this is an old thread but it is still a current problem for some. I recently had the same problems with my mower and found this thread searching for info. It is reasonable to conclude that both switches would have to malfunction "be stuck" at the same time, but it is also very likely. I found this to be the case with mine. The connectors had corroded and were preventing their NC switches from completing the circuit. The switches would work sometimes, be slow to work at others and finally quit altogether because they would not allow enough power to the clutch to engage. People are replacing the main switch and even the clutch and getting results for awhile, when in reality they are probably causing the connections to be making a little better contact at the same time and erroneously attributing the positive results to the new parts. These plug in wire connectors are not sealed and will fail due to corrosion just as the battery connections on any battery. I suggest cleaning them first before replacing any switches or clutch just as I would suggest cleaning your battery connections on any vehicle before replacing the battery or charging components. I cleaned the reverse switch connectors after finding I was only getting 4 or 5 volts at the clutch and all is well and working like new. I did go back and disconnect the reverse switches and make a jumper to plug in their places to be able to stop the annoying and probably wear causing shutting off and on when backing up. I hope this helps someone and saves them time and money.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #15  
HEy, Bikenstein,
I hop you are still active here, I have the same problem, my son in law says he put my mower in reverse and now it will not start. I think he "slams" it in reverse because the belt is shot. So i replaced the belt but the PTO switch usually makes a clicking noise when it disengages and engages pushing it up and down, now it does not do anything AND the motor will not turn over. I am convinced that the reverse shutoff relay is not working properly. I want to by pass them. How did you do this?
Thanks

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #16  
HEy, Bikenstein,
I hop you are still active here. I am convinced that the reverse shutoff relay is not working properly. I want to by pass them. How did you do this?
Thanks
Hey Campeyman. I took the 2 brown wires straight from the clutch and wired one to ground and the other through a toggle switch straight to the battery. Put an inline fuse ahead of the switch for protection. Wiring straight to the battery could possibly result in a fire if you had a meltdown due to a short. The motor should start regardless of the back up switches. They are in a different circuit. You could have a blown fuse or more likely corroded battery connections which could also cause the clutch problem. One thing I found is that it takes almost full battery voltage to actuate the clutch. I would recommend you get your mower to start first before modifying the wiring. Good luck

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #17  
HEy, Bikenstein,
I hop you are still active here, I have the same problem, my son in law says he put my mower in reverse and now it will not start. I think he "slams" it in reverse because the belt is shot. So i replaced the belt but the PTO switch usually makes a clicking noise when it disengages and engages pushing it up and down, now it does not do anything AND the motor will not turn over. I am convinced that the reverse shutoff relay is not working properly. I want to by pass them. How did you do this?
Thanks
I reread my post and yours. To jump the reverse switches just unplug them and make a short jumper wire with crimp fittings to plug in their place. Crimping tools and connectors are available every where.

/ Cub Cadet RZT Zero turn PTO and reverse issues #18  
I reread my post and yours. To jump the reverse switches just unplug them and make a short jumper wire with crimp fittings to plug in their place. Crimping tools and connectors are available every where.

Outstanding!! THank you Bikenstien!!