Cub GT2125

/ Cub GT2125 #1  

mhart

Silver Member
Hello

I recently got a used Cub GT2125 with 70 hours on it. It runs and mows great. Last week the "low oil" light came on. The oil level seems fine. I even changed the oil, oil level normal on dipstick but light remains on.

Sould I worry about mowing with it, could it be something with the light itself, wiring etc

Thanks

/ Cub GT2125 #2  
after you changed out the oil, put in the correct viscosity of oil, installed OEM oil filter (if so equipped) and re-started the engine, did the warning lite come on and stay on right away?
If so, may well be a defective oil sender switch or a related circuit problem... a troubleshoot/repair/replace task
If not (lite comes on later), then would be wary about running engine until I was quite sure that it was indeed getting proper lube. Would also then do a close inspection of related wiring and connections.
If still trouble, post back with update - one of the guys here should be able to give you more help. Good luck.

/ Cub GT2125
If I recall the light came on again right away. I have read online that it will reset itself after oil change after you run the tractor for an hour or two.

Now you have me scared, how do I determine if it is getting proper lube?

Thanks again

/ Cub GT2125 #4  
chk yer owners manual for details on how that guage is supposed to operate - If no manual, get full model number and serial number off ID plate located in cavity under tilting seat.
Go to PDF Manual Web Archive, enter numbers, download manual.
From what you say now, would suspect a faulty sender switch - if not being "fooled" by gauge readouts. But, would still replace that sender before running the engine much under load... just to avoid trashing /blowing a $1200 motor.

/ Cub GT2125
I obtained this tractor used a few weeks ago. I actually did get the manual but it is not too helpful. It specifies only to check the oil level on dipstick. If level low then top off. If light remains on, then contact your dealer. Not a great set of suggestions. I suppose by contact your dealer they are covering problems with the switch itself or the engine not getting oil.

I guess I will be forced to take it in for a service to see what is wrong. If i mowed with it for about an hour and everything ran ok, would you assume that it is just the switch. I ran it last weekend for about this long after changing the oil and it ran fine.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input with this.

/ Cub GT2125
Ok, I went back down and started up the Cub again. To my delight the light was not on

However, I mowed for about 200 feet and the light came back on again. I then returned the mower to its original location and turned it off. It seemed to run fine but now I am fearful that something more serious is wrong.

/ Cub GT2125 #7  
Ok, I went back down and started up the Cub again. To my delight the light was not on

However, I mowed for about 200 feet and the light came back on again. I then returned the mower to its original location and turned it off. It seemed to run fine but now I am fearful that something more serious is wrong.

Yuor latest description points towards either an intermittant short in a wire or switch, not a defective oil pressure sender, as it worked for a bit first before the dash light went on.
Did the manual spell out exactly what each dash gauge did ?
One other thing you can do is to remove some of the engine's cooling cowling sheet metal to make sure head cooling fins are clean/free of grass/dirt/mice nests, etc.
An engine rapidly overheating could lead to low oil pressure.
But - more likely there is a wire/connection someplace that is either making/breaking contact or shorting to ground. Did you closely chk all connections for that circuit ?

/ Cub GT2125
So here is the update, I have called 2 dealers

Dealer #1--says that this will reset itself after about 2 hours of mowing, not to worry about it

Dealer #2--says that is is probably a bad sensor. Just keep an eye on the oil level on the dipstick, ok to keep mowing with it.

So now I am not sure what to do. 2 different opinions on what this is, but neirther of them seem to be concerned that this is an oil pressure, not enough oil to the engine problem

Thoughts??

/ Cub GT2125 #9  
Probably nothing that will cause a problem. As long as your oil level is fine you are OK. The sensor just tells if oil level is low. If it is OK then the sensor/connections are bad. But obviously check the oil level every time you use it to make sure until either the light goes out or you fix the connections/ sensor.

/ Cub GT2125
Thanks guys for your help

So you are saying this light is purely a "level" detector and not a "pressure" detector. It simply tells you if the level is low. The manual does not seem to specify. That being the case, as long as the dipstick is ok, then I am ok I guess.

Thanks again