Cultivator - How wide should it be?

/ Cultivator - How wide should it be? #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
I was looking for a 7 foot wide cultivator for my corn but found this one 9 foot wide one for $200. I have never used a cultivator before and was wondering if this 9 foot one would be too much for my Kubota 3130 (32HP HST). My soil is a heavy loam with lots of small rocks. I space my corn in 30 inch rows.

103398d1211814348-finally-tilled-pumpkin-patch-weekend-tilling-garden-3.jpg

Attachments

• cultivator.JPG
    cultivator.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 234
   / Cultivator - How wide should it be? #2  
I was looking for a 7 foot wide cultivator for my corn but found this one 9 foot wide one for $200. I have never used a cultivator before and was wondering if this 9 foot one would be too much for my Kubota 3130 (32HP HST). My soil is a heavy loam with lots of small rocks. I space my corn in 30 inch rows.

103398d1211814348-finally-tilled-pumpkin-patch-weekend-tilling-garden-3.jpg

Two things.....First, You can always lift the tines on the outside edge of the bar so there are not so many tools in the ground if your tractor will not pull a 9 foot implement.

Second....I am confused. Perhaps in your area of the country that may be called a cultivator.....out here it is called a Triple K Renovator. I am not saying that it will not accomplish what you want. However, I do not see any knives on shanks that will cut the weeds up close to the corn plant.

For $200 I would buy it. Just because it is 9 feet, does not mean you have to use the whole 90 feet.

/ Cultivator - How wide should it be? #3  
You can always cut it down or remove shanks as said.

I bought a four row double diamond bar cultivator with lot's of shanks on it. I cut it down and made it a small chisel type thing with 9 shanks.
I only gave $100 for it.

/ Cultivator - How wide should it be? #4  
I run a 8' 4 row cultivator. Mud and slopes will stop me cold with 55 hp and 10,000 lb tractor.

All depends on soil condition & how deep you run.

/ Cultivator - How wide should it be?
Thanks guys, I hope to pick it up on the weekend and will see how well it works in my soil. I never thought of cutting it down or removing a few tines.

Steve