Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE

/ Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE #11  
Here the headwall is being placed against the culvert pipe.
I used the largest rip-rap that could be purchased,,
Headwall12.jpgHeadwall14.jpgHeadwall10.jpgHeadwall9.jpgHeadwall8.jpgHeadwall7.jpg

These pics may be of multiple installs, I started doing these back in 2018,, like I said, there is one more to do.

My culverts used to get clogged with leaves each fall,, not any more,,
The culvert entrances stay spotlessly clean.

/ Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE #12  
Picture number 3 is the first one I did,,
I had not learned to slope the headwall,,
I may pull that one out, and re-install it,,

Those headwalls weigh about 2,500 pounds each,, I hauled all of them on one trailer load.
They sure make a culvert entrance (or exit) bullet-proof.

/ Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE #13  
When I had the rip-rap delivered, the driver told me to stay back over 100 feet,,
the rocks are so big, that they come out of the truck,
hit each other, and throw BIG shards of rock EVERYWHERE!!

Headwall13.jpg

He warned me when I was ordering the rip-rap, some of the pieces would be as big as a car tire.
I was warned not to order it, unless I had a machine to move the rocks.

In the end, the tractor transported the rocks,
but, I placed EVERY one of the rocks final location by hand.

THAT killed my boredom!! :ROFLMAO:

/ Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE
Which way does it slope? Looks more like it just holds water. Would DOT/ county repair it since it’s in the ROW? My old county would give you the pipe at least.

Oddly enough, the state has a culvert/ditch repair request system. As you might imagine, being a government entity, nothing ever came of the request that I submitted.

/ Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE
IMO,, you need a "headwall" more than a piece of culvert,,,

View attachment 729213View attachment 729214View attachment 729215View attachment 729216View attachment 729217View attachment 729218
I have done four of these on my driveway, I got one more to do,,
My neighbor asked why I was doing them,,
I told him,,, "Boredom!!"

CADplans,

If your pics ever finish downloading, I’ll take a look at them. LOL. Leaves will be an issue once I get this cleared and repaired, but right now there is so much clay packed in there that it is basically cement. Nothing is getting through.

/ Culvert repair/extension: Concrete to HDPE #17  
We clean out soil & root clogged 24" concrete culvert with a flex extension on a power washer and a rented Roto Rooter.

Once cleared, what we did on one job was get steel adapters at each end to go from concrete culvert to steel corrugated & finished the job with a nice looking flanged extensions on the ends.
On a similar job to yours last summer it took two afternoons with cost of materials about two grand.

If you have to replace the entire culvert it can end up costing less because you don't need those expensive adapters. Slope it about 3/4" per foot.