Culvert Updates

/ Culvert Updates #51  
Harv, another thing that might help is to make a small dam upstream. Make it out of rocks this will slow the water before it gets to your culvert. Use rocks about 12-18 inches in diameter and pile them loose. You just want to slow the water down not actually dam it up. This will take some of the power out of the water and lessen the chance of another blow out.

Just an idea
Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Culvert Updates
Hey thanks, GlueGuy! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

That's a very interesting and informative web site. It's nice to know what's available and how to use it.

That anti-seep collar may not be exactly right for me now, but it gives me some ideas, nonetheless.

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Updates #53  
Harv,
Saw this picture... thought of your culvert...if it doesn't get fixed/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

flood1a.jpg

...as if California doesn't have enough problems /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Culvert Updates
YIKES, John! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I hope that's not a vote of confidence for my culvert-fixin' ability! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

For such a simple concept as laying down a piece of pipe for water to run through, there sure are some pretty stiff consequences for not doing it right. From earlier threads I learned that it's very important to assume that your culverts will be overrun sooner or later, and then the secret to success it to make sure you've planned a path for the overflow.

Considering that the water flow wasn't all that bad this year and I still lost my road, I'd say I'm still facing a serious trial by nature in the years to come. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Thanks for the pict. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Updates #55  
I want you all to take a moment to consider Harv's plight. In the future, (if Harv doesn't get CALTRANS off his jobsite) his culvert problem may well look like the attached photo! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Culvert Updates
Another vote of confidence! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I guess I'd better be successful on this next go-around with the culverts or I'll be kibitzed to death! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Some day you'll have a tractor again, Scruffy -- and then it will be my turn! (Where's a fiendish-grin emoticon when you need one?)

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Updates #58  
Harv, I know you'll get it eventually. I re-installed a pair of 36" culverts three years running, each year having to yard them back up the gully with a winch. Then they stayed in for 5 years with no problem, and back to the drawing board...force of the water and boulders totally destroyed those culverts!! Put in a log bridge after building ramps to clear the winter flow (sometimes)...still there. Hey! Its fun! Enjoy.

/ Culvert Updates
Thanks, Scruffy, for that, uh... encouraging story. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I'm guessing you didn't have the benefit of the TBN brain trust when you first installed those pipes. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Updates #60  
Harv,
Nope sure didn't~! Although I did have the benefit of Northern California (Humboldt County) rain! You get a foot or more snow pack, and dump up to 20 inches of rain in a 24 hour period on it, and strange things happen! Flood in '64' took out 30 of 32 major highway bridges in Humboldt and Del Norte counties....made for a tractor owners dream (work wise) IF you still had the tractor that is. Have fun and enjoy the nice weather! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif