Cummings - wont statt, or will it?

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BINGO, took a little while to figure out what exactly I was supposed to pull up. But it just clikced right into place and the truck turned over just like it did when it was a day old. )</font>

Hot doggy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sometimes this ole sailor does get lucky. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it? #12  
You done good! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it? #13  
While the subject of Cummins diesel running problems is open I thought I'd share a situation a man I work with had with his 1998.

The truck would not start when it was time to leave for the day, the batterys did not have life enough to turn engine over so he got a jump. The engine turned over and came to life for a minute then quit and an oily spot near the front shock adsorber caught fire which he quickly threw some snow on.

The truck stayed at work that night. The next day they changed the alternator and jump started the truck again ran for a minute or so and the same spot caught fire again. They checked the voltage output of the alternator when running and it started out at 13 votls then dropped to 8 volts when the engine died.

Turns out there is a 140 amp fused wire, maybe a fuseable link that failed sending enough amperage to the frame to cause the oil to burn. There was a wiring harness that got cooked when this fuse failed.

Just thought I'd pass this experience on hoping that it might help someone else.

Randy

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it?
Hmmm. Interesting, I had just about every inch of wire in my truck replaced ( 2 months ago) as there were so many places fused together. We never really figured out what started it. Perhaps I will check this out.

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hmmm. Interesting, I had just about every inch of wire in my truck replaced ( 2 months ago) as there were so many places fused together. We never really figured out what started it. Perhaps I will check this out.
)</font>

Have you ever noticed how the lights get dim and the voltmeter cycles between 11 and 14 volts for a few minutes when the truck is started cold (below 50ºF)? Those intake air heaters pull about 65 amps each, I believe. It's a great system for instant starts, but it places a huge load on the electrical system and wiring. Mine has worked perfectly since day 1. I thought I had a bad alternator a month back and just found out it was dirty battery connectors. I know I've been lucky, but I'm also a huge proponent of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" club. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it? #16  
<font color="blue"> ...I'm also a huge proponent of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" club. </font>

Was that the U.S. Navy you were in Jinman?

I was always under the impression the fleets' policy was "How many times can we take it apart until it breaks". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cummings - wont statt, or will it? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
Was that the U.S. Navy you were in Jinman?

I was always under the impression the fleets' policy was "How many times can we take it apart until it breaks". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

Work it may...
Shine it MUST.

That's the U.S. Navy's real motto. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif