Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #11  
Mark

'Got a link to those diamond wheels for steel? My only use of them has been for shaping stone.

I've torn through more of those non woven pads than you can shake a stick at. They don't take well to sharp corners. Something that is on every piece of steel I have ;-)

Cup wheels last so much longer, I've had some mounted for years on end. That's why I'm looking for them for the small grinder.

Look, I'm 61, been using side grinders and cup wheels since I was 11 or 12, don't recall which. I admit that some of the new stuff must be good, and I don't keep track of it all. I'm used to the performance and the characteristics of cup wheels and just looking for similar in the smaller form factor. I appreciate all the concern about my safe handling of power tools, and the dangers of one handed operation,But I doubt I'll change my habits now. If those 4 1/2 inch grinders were not meant to be single handed, why did they make them so compact and handy? Today I used Cut wheels, cup brushes and a straight brush in the fabrication of the plow frame for the Fordson. Some of the work was still on the tractor for positioning. That little grinder gets in the small spots pretty handily.

If there are no cup wheels for these small grinders,, then so be it.

Heck, If I need the metal clean, I get out the rose bud!

Cheers

Cal

Cal,
Here's a link to the diamond wheels for grinding steel. That's a hugely inflated list price, but you get the idea of the concept.
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG...balProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=CGW70404

Wasn't trying to change your methodology in your grinding process. You asked if I'd ever tried to hold a 'full size' grinder on it's side. To me, a full size grinder is a 7", up here in the great white North 4 1/2'' grinders are referred to as mini-grinders. 5" and 7" are the norm for more substantial work.

Cheers!

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders
Mark

Thanks for that reference. With that photo to jog the gears, I have seen those wheels. At the price, they must come with a length of 3/8th proof coil to keep them from showing up missing!

I do have several diamond wheels for both glass and carbides. Sintered on the glass grinder, bonded for carbides, used for sharpening on the tool and cutter grinder or the surface grinder. But neither of those applications are free hand.

You and I have the same understanding about grinder sizes. When I think of a side grinder, it's a 7-8 inch machine. This 4 1/5 inch jobbie is just a hoot though. Sometimes, just the right tool, and it doesn't wear out these old bones .

And I didn't ask if you had put a grinder down on it's side, we all do that and bring the work up to the wheel. What I made was a rhetorical remark about holding a two handed tool in one hand.
There was no direction in the statement, just a point of emphasis.

Thanks for your contributions1

Cal

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #13  
Spend 30$ at Walmart for a B&D with a 5/8 spindle on it.

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders
Spend 30$ at Walmart for a B&D with a 5/8 spindle on it.

I've looked at them.

those new tools are so cheap, I can't stand to have one around. My old unit is built better and has lasted to prove it. It's hard enough to keep up with the trash without bringing it home directly from W.W..

I would rather tool up the gear I appreciate.

Cal

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #15  
A stroke of luck for me. I went to the GMC dealer to look at a truck and I got a $50 debit card free fro walking in an out almost. I went to a Farm and Fleet store to burn my debit card and they had Heavy duty Dewalt 4-1/2" grinders for $59 or about 30-40% off, so I have another grinder. :cool2: Can't have to many of them.

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #16  
I used to have a DeWalt grinder like Cal, I think: I remember the metric spindle being 1.5 threads. I was olive green in color, I think, and made in the US of A(?) which made the metric spindle weird.

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #17  
Subscribed.

/ Cup wheels for 41/2 inch grinders #19  
i found a cup set a harbor freight that fit their old thread arbors.