Curved exhaust versus flapper

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #11  
I've had a few mufflers rust out on straight and curved exhaust pipes that go up. Now I put a plastic coffee can over the top when I'm done with it and that seems to solve all the problems of water getting in there.

Eddie

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #12  
I've had a few mufflers rust out on straight and curved exhaust pipes that go up. Now I put a plastic coffee can over the top when I'm done with it and that seems to solve all the problems of water getting in there.

Eddie

Your being silly. No such thing as a plastic coffee can

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper
Some of my British friends call cans, 'tins'. I don't think they've figured a way to make them out of plastic, yet.

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #15  
Some of my British friends call cans, 'tins'. I don't think they've figured a way to make them out of plastic, yet.

one of my old neighbors had an ugly Iron fence made of plastic you know

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #16  
I find the flappers a pain, they are noisy. What I do is use the curved pipe and mount a can to a stick, when you shut it off put the can over the tip, with the stick on it, there is no problem of it blowing off and it keeps the moisture out. Best of all it is cheap!
Just a thought!

John,
I can't visualize the can on a stick. Could you elaborate?

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #18  
They Drill a couple of holes threw the board and Can, measure the spacing, put in a couple of machine screws with the heads on the inside and you are good to go. I have seen them with plastic jugs, what ever will fit on you stack, cut the board to what ever length you want, that is easy to remove, and stable in a wind.
2x2s work great in most applications.
Just a thought!

They Drill a couple of holes threw the board and Can, measure the spacing, put in a couple of machine screws with the heads on the inside and you are good to go. I have seen them with plastic jugs, what ever will fit on you stack, cut the board to what ever length you want, that is easy to remove, and stable in a wind.
2x2s work great in most applications.
Just a thought!
So, the stick is screwed to the side of the can to, add weight and keep, the driver from having to climb on the tractor to put the can on top of the exhaust?

/ Curved exhaust versus flapper #20  
I have my neighbor's 630 JD in my shop rebuilding the motor because the can blew off and filled the cylinders with rain water. I prefer to use a roof over the tractor to prevent water from getting into the exhaust manifold. I like the can on the stick idea for a tall tractor and the weight of the stick will keep the can on the pipe if you don't have shed available. It still does not protect the water from wicking down the pipe below the muffler section itself into the manifold.