Custom ballast boxes

/ Custom ballast boxes #11  
Here's mine, basic concrete filled ballast with some barbell weights placed inside. I'm guessing around 700 lbs =/-, not completely sure. I wish I had a crane scale to weigh it to know the exact weight.

Attachments

• IMG_5408.JPG
    IMG_5408.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5382.JPG
    IMG_5382.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5415.JPG
    IMG_5415.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5449.JPG
    IMG_5449.JPG
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 188
   / Custom ballast boxes #12  
Here's mine, basic concrete filled ballast with some barbell weights placed inside. I'm guessing around 700 lbs =/-, not completely sure. I wish I had a crane scale to weigh it to know the exact weight.

if you like doing math you could probably get a pretty close estimate. you can tell how much steel you had weight wise, and also the volume based on the size of the weights and bars used. figure the overall volume of the box, subtract the volume of the steel, and that is the concrete volume. figure 135 lb/ft3 for concrete and 490 lb/ft3 for steel/iron.

/ Custom ballast boxes #13  
if you like doing math you could probably get a pretty close estimate. you can tell how much steel you had weight wise, and also the volume based on the size of the weights and bars used. figure the overall volume of the box, subtract the volume of the steel, and that is the concrete volume. figure 135 lb/ft3 for concrete and 490 lb/ft3 for steel/iron.

Thanks lostcause, I'm not a huge fan of math (like my wife is) but what I did was add up the different barbell weights, (easy), placed any metal I used (angle, rebar, etc.) on a bath scale and wrote that down. I then figured the amount of concrete I used to get an approximate total weight. Which if I recall correctly was around 760 lbs. give or take. I've asked a few friends of mine if they had a "crane scale" but nobody has one and I don't want or need to purchase one. I use the ballast box mostly for snow removal and it make a huge difference. Again thank you. Stanley

/ Custom ballast boxes #14  
Drum of concrete with PVC for shovels, etc. tied into horizontal PVC header on bottom for cleaning. Milk crate bolted onto it for chains, lunch, whatever:)

Attachments

• Ballast A.jpg
    Ballast A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
  • Ballast B.jpg
    Ballast B.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Ballast C.jpg
    Ballast C.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 190
   / Custom ballast boxes #16  
Looks good Chim, nice and clean...like the added conspicuity tape...nice touch!

/ Custom ballast boxes #17  
I've removed the pipes, added more weight and topped it off with a manhole cover. 800#?

View attachment 681117

What is the other implement in your picture? Looks like it might be good for reclaiming yard or pasture after a visit from the hogs. I have never seen that implement before.

/ Custom ballast boxes #18  
Here's mine built for use when plowing snow. Its salvaged 1/4" plate with concrete poured around all the scrap steel that i had at the time. estimated weight is close to 1000 lb and its about 100 lb heavier in front of the lift arm points than behind to reduce weight transfer off the front wheels as much as possible.

Attachments

• 20161204_144753.jpg
    20161204_144753.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • 2-4 plowing3.jpg
    2-4 plowing3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 130
   / Custom ballast boxes #19  
box rear.jpgbox top.jpg
Top opens for storage. Keep a chain in the back between the pipes for the long handled tools. I had wheels on it. Bad idea. Made a dolly that rests underside to roll the heavy beast around.