Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket #1  

npartist

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600
I didn't feel like spending $500+ on a stump bucket so I made my own with the help of my brother (CAD support) and uncle (CNC plasma cutter). I made a timelapse video of the project and real-time video of digging up my first stump (don't copy my beginning technique....haha, learning curve). Designed for my Bobcat Toolcat 5600 but uses standard skid steer quick attach plate. I used 5/16" A572-50 steel plate from a local supplier. Bought 4x8ft sheet which is enough for two buckets (designed it to fit within 4x4ft plate). Total material cost for one bucket ended up being around $130. Turned out pretty good! Teeth certainly help to grab and rip up the roots.

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket #3  
Cool build! I've often thought about one for my tractor but I found it just to be easier before taking down the tree hook up 10 ft up the trunk or so and use the tree as a lever usually stump pulls right out on its own

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket #4  
Nice to have access to the cnc equipment. When the time comes to build one here, I have a piece of heavy wall pipe and will freehand the teeth. Prob have to see an orthodontist for dental work afterwards.

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket #5  
Nicely done!
I found you can buy a qa plate on Ebay with free shipping pretty reasonable. I would love to have a CNC plasma table but just don't have the room.

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket
Yes pushing over a tree works well if you have the room to do that or if the trees haven't already been cut by the previous property owner (my case). I have a handheld plasma cutter and cut the 5/16 plate in half to transport it to my uncle's. I originally planned to freehand it but after just the simple straight line 4ft cut I am glad I went CNC. I've cut lots of intricate things out of sheet metal with the plasma but thicker plate is a new ball game. Probably would have given up if started it just freehand.

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket #7  
Great job. I see you didn't miss the critical step of taking and posting pics to Instagram during the build. Amateurs always forget that step. ;)

Did you make the Fusion file public?

Great job. I see you didn't miss the critical step of taking and posting pics to Instagram during the build. Amateurs always forget that step. ;)

Did you make the Fusion file public?

ha, hard to do anything these days without a few picture/text/social media breaks on the phone! :dance1:

My brother made the fusion file and has opted to keep it private.

/ Custom CAD designed, CNC plasma cut stump bucket #9  
Understood. There is a lot of work in making 3D CNC files that people do not appreciate. In today's world of industrial automation you can build a 'factory' in a barn that would make Henry Ford green with envy. Perhaps the two of you could rig some additional hardware and start pumping out competitive US-made stump buckets.

Just don't let the robots in the barn get uppity. I saw that movie and it didn't end well for the humans.

Since we built two identical ones, just sold the 2nd one to cover the costs of material plus a little extra for my brother for his efforts on CAD. Overall happy with build, now I have a free bucket (except for my labor).