CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures

/ CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures #41  
Captinjack

your place wouldent be in th pa grand canyon would it?
It looks great!

My place is in th canyon and a friend from work said that I was so far back there wasnt' any one behind me.

7 miles of forrest road 1 mile common right of way

tommu56

/ CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures
3RRL said:
Obed,
That's great the property is in the small town you grew up in.
Were you familiar with it before you bought it? A guys got to go a long way to beat that scenery!

I wasn't familiar with the property when I saw it on the internet. In fact it wasn't until after I left home out and went out of state until I really started appreciating the area where I grew up. Growing up you see a mountain and think nothing of the view. You see a rocky mountain creek and think nothing of it. As an adult, having moved out of state, I had to travel to see such things and started gaining an appreciation for where I grew up.

dirtworksequip said:
If winter is your wet rainy season, you need to wait til dryer weather or yu wil just make a mess. If the dirt is too wet yu will not be able to compact it with your truck. If you start leaving ruts and slide around its still too wet.

Yeah, I need to wait. Fortunately the electrician was able to get his truck down the road this week and put up our electric pole for the camper. Now the electric company needs to run power from the transformer to the camper site. I'm hoping I don't have to wait until spring before I the power hooked up.

Captinjack said:
This is a photo of my deer camp looking towards the North. ...
I've got about $1k into the stone and geotextile cloth so far and it's made an unbelievable improvement. Next summer, I'll have the road in good enough shape that the trucks may be able to actually come up the road and spread the stone when unloading. What a time saver that'll be. Gotta replace a culvert first though.

Captinjack,
Your place is absolutely beautiful! So is the road you're fixing the only access from the public road to your house?

Obed

The electrician put up our 16 ft electrical pole for the camper. I had my wife call him to find out if he concreted the pole. Unfortunately he didn't. He said that since he thought that we might be moving the pole later that it would be easier to move without the concrete. I'm just afraid that a 16 ft pole will not stand for long in a 30" deep hole here without concrete. Now we have to pull the pole out of the ground ourselves and re-set it with concrete. Bummer. That'll delay getting power for another week (or more if the weather is bad this weekend). However, the road was solid enough for him to get to the camper site so I'm happy about that.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 348
We've had a few days in a row without rain. When I went to the property this weekend I was pleased with the road. I was afraid it would be unusable all winter. However, it was in fairly good shape under the circumstances. Most of the road was fairly solid. There are a few soft spots though. I made sure that while the road was dry to drive up and down the road with my 8000 lb. pickup truck to pack down the road as much as possible. That's one mistake I made earlier. I should have packed down the road with my truck as soon as I graded it and before it rained.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 298
   / CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures #47  
A few posts back you were talking about cutting down the tree that caused you trouble getting your camper in. There is a good thread on doing this safely in the safety forum, which I'm sure you've already read. But, I think it would be easier (since you need to take out root ball also), if you cut tree off about 5' to 7' off the ground, then use front bucket to push trunk up high, and hopefully it will push over and pull rootball out of ground. I know you talk about road being soft on top, but if you are in Tennessee, those roots may be in rock. Good luck and beautiful place you have there.

BTDT said:
A few posts back you were talking about cutting down the tree that caused you trouble getting your camper in. ... Good luck and beautiful place you have there.

BTDT,
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I have started another post about that tree that is in the road. Best Way To Remove This Tree People have made a lot of suggestions. I've posted some pictures there.
Obed

/ CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures #49  
Thomas said:
Afternoon Obed.
I say you got the hang of road repair also ditching,
1*did you by chance make couple of passes in the ditch to pack loosen dirt....might help to stay in place if there another heavy rain.

I have some ditch work to do.
1*My idea for packing the dirt is to till in some cement in the fill dirt before i put the dirt in the ditch.
Anybody think that would work?

Here's the road 2 1/2 months later after all the winter rains. Winter is the wet season here. I've got a gate up now. I installed the gate 14 inches above the road to leave room for future gravel.

Attachments

• IMG_0653_640.jpg
    IMG_0653_640.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 268