Snowblower CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount?

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #11  
I have a 4100 and would love to talk regarding the blower...I cant trade however because I have no 3 pt.

Let me know if you are serious...

Ducati996

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #12  
crispy,

I have a rear-mount blower.....and I just got in from blowing lots of snow. I would say avoid rear-mount PTO type blowers if at all possible. My face is numb and my entire body was covered in a thick layer of half frozen snow. Rear-mount should be your LAST option. It works well when it's not blowing in your face, which is most of the time, but the driver takes a severe beating. I'm sick of it.

-Jim

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #13  
My exact point - any snow blower will cover you with snow unless you have a cab...

Thats why I want the blower on the back just for convenience (and ballast). It would be used only when necessary. The blade on the front to be used for most of the snow clearing I need to.

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #14  
Hi keeny,

I would suggest keeping your front mount and adding a Rear blade in the back. You then should be thinking cab !!

I understand the "In your face" blower dilema...I have a Cub cadet 3204 garden tractor w/ a 45" blower. The wind gets ya no matter what, so get the cab if its too much. The machine performed beyond all my expectations. I can deal with the cold, just wear a full snow suit, and if possible snowmoble helmet !!

Besides if you have a rear 3Pt blower, you now have to concern yourself with extra lighting for the back....and always looking backwards!

I also used my JD4100 (FEL and Rear Blade)...I only used my rear blade, it was so much quicker than the FEL !!
If you keep the Front Blower and add a Rear blade, you wont need the FEL for snow!!

Good luck either way!!

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #15  
I agree, if money is not a issue then I would get a front mounted blower, a heated cab, and a blade on the back and you'll be ready for any snow that comes along.

But a 3-point snowblower will do a fine job and for a lot less money. You do need to think about which way the wind is blowing but that isn't rocket science.

Cabs look neat but I don't want to mow the grass in one in the summer even with air conditioning and I don't think they are an easy on and off situation from what I see offered.

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #16  
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifFUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION SNOW SUIT AND HELMET,THATS EXACTLY WHAT WE DID.WE RIDE SNOW MOBILES AND HAVE HEATED ELECTIC SHIELD so mounted a port on the tractor like on the sleds for the shield and mount up on the tractor like going riding and don't care so much about the snow.sorry for the caps

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #17  
As you can see by the picture I have both front and rear blowers on my tractors.I found the RM no worse than my FM blower as far as snow blowing back in my face.I seem to get less with my RM,but no matter it all depends on which way the wind is blowing.I also wear my snowmobile jacket and pants,but I haven't tried wearing the helmet yet,although I have thought about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 348287-DSCN1326.JPG
    348287-DSCN1326.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 351
   / CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #18  
<font color="blue"> Cabs look neat but I don't want to mow the grass in one in the summer even with air conditioning and I don't think they are an easy on and off situation from what I see offered.
</font>
This probably depends on the tractor and cab. I take my cab off in the summer and put a roll bar on. It takes me about an hour each spring and fall to change - but the cab on my unit is probably quite a lot smaller than what fits your tractor. I have a couple of hoists in the garage and I use or the other to lift the cab on and off. Four bolts, two heater hose quick disconnects and an electrical plug and its done. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #19  
Interesting setup you have there, mgrick. If you were starting over w/ a new tractor and needed to get only one blower ...which would it be? Front or rear?

I've got a TC24D w/ FEL that I've been using to clear my driveway but that's a mightly slow process and can easily take several hours depending on the dump. I've noticed the cost difference, see that looking backward would seem to be a hassle ...but is that something that's fairly easy to get used to? My driveway is about 300' long w/ a pad at the bottom that gets cleared as well, and it's steep.

/ CUT Snowblower: Front, 3pt, or FEL mount? #20  
Legion...I used the 7' RM for the first time and it didn't bother me to much,it's a little different having used the FM for the last 12 years.I've got an 800' driveway plus the front of the house and it made short work of it.I still need the smaller Honda to do around the lawn and down into the drivein basement were I keep it.The 42" blower on the Honda used to take forever to do everything and it seemed funny to use it after using the bigger 7' blower.I was lucky and got RM blower from a guy down the road from me for 400.00.So I wasn't about to pass it up.I also like having the loader on,it works good for moving the plowed in slush at the top of the driveway.But I guess you could get a rear blade if you went with a FM.Basically at this point I don't mind using a RM blower,the cost difference alone for a tractor like my Kioti made up my mind to go with a RM.