Tires Cut tire - tube or replace?

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #11  
If you go the 'replace' route, why not go ahead and spend the extra money and get a new rim, and have that tire patched/booted and installed on the old rim with a TUBE.. IE.. have a spare 'repaired' tire, and then put your new tubless rubber and rim on the tractor. While I don't like wasting money.. nor do i have loads of it to waste.. .. having a spare tire mounted and ready to go is a nice idea. I'm lucky in that 4 of my 7 fords can all fit the same tire/rim.. so I keep 2 old ratty rims with bald tires that hold arir on hand as spares. In fact.. my 850 is using one of those spares now.. lost a tube while moving hay earlier this year..

Soundguy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #12  
Soundguy

I don't like to spend money any more than the next guy. If it was a rear I would definately repair it. With such a cut on a small front tire, where I could buy a new tire in the $100 region, I would probably just get a new tire. Of course a hard inside patch and tube would also work.

Andy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #13  
A 1" cut just doesn't sound like much to me... I'm a man .. and I know we get confused when trying to figure out 'inches'.. but heck.. I got 1" cuts in tube tires right now that don't even have patches on the inside (yet)..

Still.. not my tire or money to spend soo.. I'll shut-up now.

Soundguy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #14  
I'm with Farm and Soundguy.
Put a farm patch on the inside and tube it. I just did that 2 weeks ago to one of my fronts. Took about an hour total doing it all myself at camp. The tire was just too good to get a new one. If I could half the life of what Farm got, it's worth it.

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #15  
That's a pretty thick patch you used.. radiator tube right? That's as thick as a hd large farm patch, or a heavy boot... I imagine it will last the life of the tire casing.

soundguy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #16  
BTW, I don't want yo uguys to think I am a spendthrift. In my own case I woul dprobably patch the tire. It's just that I have had a front tire blow when I was loading my dumptruck and I didn't liek the sudden lurch which bashed the loader into the truck tool boxes. I could only imagine it comind down a hill with a very heavy bucket.

Andy

/ Cut tire - tube or replace?
Both tires were patched. They didn't add tubes. The cuts were clean. The young service guy - he said he had been doing this for 11 years, but looked like he was just out of high school - was very good. He had all the right tools, including the tank that blasts air to seat the tire. Took him about an hour to completely dismount the rear tire, patch and re-mount.

Tire repairs and service call - $100. Having my tractor back - priceless.

Sure would like to find what cut them - I'm certain it is still out there in the field.

/ Cut tire - tube or replace? #18  
Soundguy said:
That's a pretty thick patch you used.. radiator tube right? That's as thick as a hd large farm patch, or a heavy boot... I imagine it will last the life of the tire casing.

soundguy
You're right Chris.
I'm hoping the same.:)