CUT vs CTL

/ CUT vs CTL #11  
If you do go for the compact tractor, there are high flotation tire options you could explore. But I think you have a tough challenge where no single piece of equipment will be a perfect solution.

/ CUT vs CTL #12  
The video below is a company propaganda video of course ... But i find it to be very accurate based on my use. I have never been able to get my ASV stuck, and I've used it in all sorts of muddy, wet-clay conditions.

And it's not just the traction that makes a CTL way better than a CUT for most of these types of conditions. They have a smaller overall footprint, are more maneuverable, can run much heavier-duty front equipment , substantially more hydraulic flow, and the lifting force of the loader blows away the tractor. My CUT, which has a great loader for the class (2500 lb rating) is easily outclassed by my CTL, with a 5500 lb tipping load.

I am slowly replacing my tractor implements with front hydraulic implements, as the CTL is just so much better for most of my (commercial) applications. I now have accumulated: standard bucket, stump bucket, oversized bucket, 4-in-1 tooth bucket, grapple bucket, Front Harley rake, Rockhound, 4-way Dozer blade, Tree Puller... so useful...

Regarding a CTL on grass... It all depends on how skilled of an operator you are and how careful you want to be. I can either destroy grass and turn it all into topsoil again, or I can barely leave an impression. It just depends on the work I have to do and how careful I am trying to be.

The ASV undercarriage design has the benefits of better traction, better ride, higher ground clearance, and lower ground pressure. The downside is that the undercarriage can be more expensive to maintain and replace the components than the other standard CTL platforms. I'm also actively looking to get another CTL, a larger 100 horsepower unit with a typical CTL undercarriage. That one will be used for larger grading projects and rock work, which takes a heavy toll on the ASV undercarriage system.

Anyhow, here's the vid.
ASV Posi-Track Loader 80HP CTL Shooutout - YouTube

/ CUT vs CTL #13  
A compact telehandler is unstuckable. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...pact-telehandler-post3243370.html#post3243370

For your trailer a small JCB would work. Get one with the SSQA built in.

vbig_2.jpg

Sellers Eq  2009.jpg

JCB2 (Large).gif

/ CUT vs CTL #14  
If you do go for the compact tractor, there are high flotation tire options you could explore. But I think you have a tough challenge where no single piece of equipment will be a perfect solution.

Floatation tires help but don't hold a candle to tracks. It is all about the surface area and ground pressure. Most rubber tracked machines have less ground pressure per square inch than a person on foot even though they are heavy machines. My 19k crawler (same model as in this video) has 4 PSI ground pressure.IHI IC 45 3wd - YouTube

/ CUT vs CTL #15  
   / CUT vs CTL #16  
Telehandlers can push themselves backwards out of being stuck but they can not work in super soft terrain. They can get out of darn near anything but they sink easy.

And also pull themselves out forwards if there is something to hook a chain onto. :thumbsup:

Stuck. :mad:

P6120028.JPG

Tow strap around a tree, chain to the slot in SSQA, with boom extended.

P6120044.JPG

Drive forward while retracting the boom.

Unstuck. :thumbsup:

P6120045.JPG

/ CUT vs CTL #17  
Yes but a tele-handler isn't going to grade and operate as productively, in soft conditions, as a CTL, especially with the ASV undercarriage.

Each machine type will have areas that it excels over other machine types... Soft/wet conditions and low ground pressure situations are what CTL's excel at. Nothing against tele-handler's, they are really cool machines, but they won't do what a good CTL will do in those conditions.

/ CUT vs CTL #18  
Yes but a tele-handler isn't going to grade and operate as productively, in soft conditions, as a CTL, especially with the ASV undercarriage.

Each machine type will have areas that it excels over other machine types... Soft/wet conditions and low ground pressure situations are what CTL's excel at. Nothing against tele-handler's, they are really cool machines, but they won't do what a good CTL will do in those conditions.

What are the major differences between an ASV and a CTL? One of the machines I have looked at was a Volvo MCT110C gotta say I like the side door idea. The specs show the Volvo has 9.8 in ground clearance.

/ CUT vs CTL #19  
What are the major differences between an ASV and a CTL? One of the machines I have looked at was a Volvo MCT110C gotta say I like the side door idea. The specs show the Volvo has 9.8 in ground clearance.
The ASV undercarriage is mounted to the machine on two (front and rear) torsion axles, whereas traditional CTL undercarriages are welded to the side of the machine. ASV were designed and built to be CTL's, every other CTL except Takeuchi, were skid steers modified to accept CTL undercarriages.

I believe my ASV has around 14" ground clearance.

The ASV system uses a "roller" sprocket system that grabs lugs on the tracks. (The track is the key, the sprocket is the keyhole). CTL is opposite, like a dozer, where the sprocket is the key and the track is the keyhole.

The ASV uses composite/rubber bogey wheels, vs steel on CTL.

Basically, ASV systems are better suited for dirt, sand, soft areas. CTL's are designed more for rough, Rocky terrain, construction sites, cement...