CUT vs Skid Steer loader

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
If bought a new Tractor/loader (Kubota or John Deere) or Skid Steer Loader (Bobcat) Skid Steer Loader for around 20k. After 5 years, 1000 hours of use and in the same condition which unit would have the better resale value and why?

KC

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #2  
A lot of variables figure into an answer to that question. But it's a good question. Biggest variable is how they will be used. Assuming general clean up and landscaping work of a personal, noncommercial nature I would think it would work out about the same either way.

A well maintained, clean machine with low hours that has not seen rough service will bring a good resale price, in the right market, no matter if it's a tractor or skid steer.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #3  
Most likely the skidloader.

Better market for used thousand hourskidloaders IMO.

PS Why not buy a Deere skidloader?

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #4  
Usually these questions are re: "which would work better for me - Skidsteer, or CUT," followed by a long list of intended jobs.

I think that I'd be more concerned with that, rather than which would have better resale down the road.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #5  
Usually these questions are re: "which would work better for me - Skidsteer, or CUT," followed by a long list of intended jobs.

I think that I'd be more concerned with that, rather than which would have better resale down the road.

Good question, figure out what fits not what fits someone else later.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #6  

Good point. A lot of hours on the wrong style would blot out the difference in resale.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader
Questions about use, includes landscaping (moving rock and stone) clearing snow in the winter. Not for mowing. Renting some attachments (breaker, PHD, Tiller and other landscaping attachments).

KC

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #8  
Questions about use, includes landscaping (moving rock and stone) clearing snow in the winter. Not for mowing. Renting some attachments (breaker, PHD, Tiller and other landscaping attachments).

KC

Sounds like a tractor to me. Skidloaders do alot of turf damage unless its 4ws, and they are really digging machines (except the attachments). Tractor would be more multi-purpose. Evaluate your needs, that skidloader might end up sitting around more than a tractor would. In my case that would be true, and I use my machine for the same purposes you listed.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #9  
As always, it depends on supply and demand. Right now with the construction business in the dumps, used skid steers can be had cheap and there is little market for them. Part of that also depends on where in the country. In places where the housing market has totally crashed, you probably can't give away a ss.

Also, finding a new SS for $20K means the small end of the range and the resale market for those will be more limited than a larger machine.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer loader #10  
right now the market for used skid loaders is the worst that its been in years. Machines are going for pennies on the dollar. No doubt, you'd be way better off with a CUT.