CUT vs Skid Steer

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #11  
I have both... A 50+ HP CUT HST tractor, and a 71 HP track loader (tracked skid steer). There are virtually no comparisons. My track loader is way way stronger than my tractor.

But as already mentioned, they are completely different machines. Tractors are more versatile, cheaper to buy, cheaper implements, cheaper to maintain.

If you're doing serious bucket work or need hydraulic power, get a SS... Otherwise, go with a tractor

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #12  
Does anyone here use a skid steer in lieu of a compact tractor?

We're looking at new tractors for light loader work and brush hogging. Someone my wife works with (construction company) today suggested we look at skid loaders. I was immediately put off by it, but started to wonder if there's any merit to the idea.

The two key usages you mention are LIGHT LOADER WORK and BRUSH HOGGING.

How light of loader work are you thinking, and by brush hogging, are you talking field mowing, tall weeds, like that? or clearing intense, thick brush and small trees?

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #13  
I think the maneuverability, lift capacity and hydraulic power are the main advantages of a skid steer. The CUT has a 3PH and PTO. If you are going to plow a field or bale hay a SS isn't the right tool. Nearly every other task (loader, PHD, mower, snowblower...) can be done with a SS using front-mounted hydraulic attachments.
Before I bought my CUT, I was tempted by a ToolCat,which is neither SS nor tractor...we also have a member here with a telehandler who might comment.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer
Tons in the T-B-N archive on Tractor Vs. Skid Steer:

tractor Vs Skid steer site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

NOTE: There are multiple pages of archived threads.

Yeah, I did a search in this particular forum, but came up with a bajillion threads all containing some mention of a skid loader. I guess I should have been more specific to the title. After rolling through several pages of threads, I just gave up and posted this. Thanks for the link.

The two key usages you mention are LIGHT LOADER WORK and BRUSH HOGGING.

How light of loader work are you thinking, and by brush hogging, are you talking field mowing, tall weeds, like that? or clearing intense, thick brush and small trees?

By light loader work, I mean moving fire wood, some moderate landscaping/leveling, snow removal, and just miscellaneous lifting and moving around the property. Brush hogging would be maintaining a small pasture of around 2-1/2 to 3 acres. It has been getting too tall over the last few years, as my wife's uncle could not keep it cut with the problems he's had with his Deere. Currently, it has weeds and grass at about 5-6 feet, but not much in the way of thicker stuff like small trees or saplings. Yet. Now that it's ours to maintain, I'd like to keep a better handle on it.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #15  
By light loader work, I mean moving fire wood, some moderate landscaping/leveling, snow removal, and just miscellaneous lifting and moving around the property. Brush hogging would be maintaining a small pasture of around 2-1/2 to 3 acres. It has been getting too tall over the last few years, as my wife's uncle could not keep it cut with the problems he's had with his Deere. Currently, it has weeds and grass at about 5-6 feet, but not much in the way of thicker stuff like small trees or saplings. Yet. Now that it's ours to maintain, I'd like to keep a better handle on it.

For every person who chooses a SS for that type of work, there are probably dozens who use a tractor effectively to do those same jobs. It isn't a right vs. wrong thing; as noted they are totally different animals... many times the SS is hands-down the way to go, but there are other situations where the tractor has the advantage (has anyone taken their kids on a hayride behind their SS or driven their SS 3 miles down the highway to do some work at the church ? ), and the implements are usually more affordable for a tractor (SS 6 ft cutters seem to run in the $ 5k and up range; you can get a decent 3 pt cutter in that size for half that or less, for example).

I'd think you''d get that kind of work done very well with the right tractor, and likely spend less $$ as well. But it's your place and you will be doing the work, so you get to decide.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #16  
No offense to CUT owners but a skid steer is simply in a different class of equipment.

CUT's are built inexpensively and designed for homeowner type use IMO. Most of these "dang dong" imports wouldn't make it very long on a construction site.

That being said for many people a CUT makes sense but as far as capability a Skid Steer is simply able to do more things and with the availability of rental attachments they can make sense for a lot of people. I also believe they hold thier value better and are easier to get rid of when the time comes especially when you consider how some brands of tractors come and go like Cabelas, Bobcat, etc..

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #17  
Yeah, I did a search in this particular forum, but came up with a bajillion threads all containing some mention of a skid loader. I guess I should have been more specific to the title. After rolling through several pages of threads, I just gave up and posted this. Thanks for the link.

With that description of the intended chores, and if you only want one machine to maintain, I'd get the tractor. ;)

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #18  
I think the maneuverability, lift capacity and hydraulic power are the main advantages of a skid steer. The CUT has a 3PH and PTO. If you are going to plow a field or bale hay a SS isn't the right tool. Nearly every other task (loader, PHD, mower, snowblower...) can be done with a SS using front-mounted hydraulic attachments.
Before I bought my CUT, I was tempted by a ToolCat,which is neither SS nor tractor...we also have a member here with a telehandler who might comment.
Yep, saw the original post right after it was posted, but didn't comment because he said CUT.

My machine is a Compact Telehandler, it replaced a MF240D Utility Tractor.

It has a SSQA and Aux Hydraulics on the front.

PA010003.JPG

PA010016.JPG

Easy to get in (air conditioned) cab and a 6' wide one cubic yard bucket, it will out dig a skid steer.

P9290024.JPG

P3180020c.jpg

And it is unstuckable :D: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...t/160568-compact-telehandler.html#post3526054

/ CUT vs Skid Steer
CUT's are built inexpensively and designed for homeowner type use IMO. Most of these "dang dong" imports wouldn't make it very long on a construction site.

I cannot disagree with that. As you said, different class of equipment with different expectations. I'm not asking about commercial construction work, though. I was just wondering if there are people who use SSs in place of a CUT for general farm/homeowner work. I figured there would be some people who would, but was wondering how widespread the application might be.

Good conversation, guys. Appreciate all the input.

/ CUT vs Skid Steer #20  
I cannot disagree with that. As you said, different class of equipment with different expectations. I'm not asking about commercial construction work, though. I was just wondering if there are people who use SSs in place of a CUT for general farm/homeowner work. I figured there would be some people who would, but was wondering how widespread the application might be.

Good conversation, guys. Appreciate all the input.

I was in a similar position when I bought my JCB. I had a 45 HP bobcat CUT but needed something that would lift more. By the time you take the bob tach assembly and the weight of the forks/bucket it just really would not lift much. Even on loads within the capacity of the machine the rear eld felt really light and I hated that nearly the entire weight of the machine and the load were on the little front axle when I was moving around and only being 5 ft wide it was quite tippy. I really liked how a skid steer performed compared to the CUT but I despise the front entry skid steers as they are a PITA when you are working alone and need to get out while holding a load. I also liked having a 3 point and a PTO to utilize. I looked at my options including the 5610 bobcat but found that the 212SU gave me essentially the best of both worlds with 4 wheel steering for getting into tight places without tearing up the ground like a skid steer will, along with a heavy lift capacity for the loader, and the bonus of a PTO and 3 point with TnT as wells as down pressure.

Can you tell us more about what you plan to do as far as loader work?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Unused Thumb Attachment, (A33079)
Unused Thumb...
Brillion  Cultipacker (A33041)
Brillion...
2018 Bobcat T590 Compact Track Loader Skid Steer (A32932)
2018 Bobcat T590...
475 (A33237)
475 (A33237)
Unused Fland FL-2 Ride-On Power Trowel, (A33079)
Unused Fland FL-2...
New White Metal Roof Panels (A33548)
New White Metal...