Cut wandering.

/ Cut wandering. #51  
I can tell from the reply on the file guys that they have never used an electric shapener. Getting the tooth hot is not an issue at least with my HF as it turns really slow as I would expect other sharpeners to also turn. Properly set, the grinder takes off very little metal OR as much as you set it for if you have a dinged up tooth you can reshape the one easily.
Filers vs grinders looks to be a topic similar to gear vs hydro. Both have a place and one is not necessarily better than the other, just easier for the less than professional to use.

/ Cut wandering. #52  
Not sure who your post is in reply to, but I touch up my chains manually with a file every few tank-fulls, but get them professionally sharpened to take care of the larger nicks from dirt, rocks, wire, etc.

And, the HF sharpener just went on sale for $29.99 so I think I'll at least check it out next time I get to a store.

Hope you saved that FUBARED chain, so when you get your electric sharpener, use it to sharpen that chain and let us know how it cuts.

/ Cut wandering. #53  
Hand filed chains cut better IMO.

I got tired of taking forever and a day straightening out totally rocked out customers chains by hand (just to much time making one right for $5). I would guess up to a hour by hand on a chain that looked like it had been cutting concrete and the cutters were so uneven.
So I invested in a stihl usg and it has already paid for itself doing customers chains.

I like hand filed for myself and keep my chains touched up. But if I rock one out hitting something in the wood that fubars up several cutters. I just straighten it up on the grinder and then go back to hand filing again.

They both have a place in my shop.

/ Cut wandering. #54  
Folks that say filed chains cut better than chains sharpened on a grinder must not be considering that new chains sure as heck arent sharpened by files when they are built and it would be hard to get one to cut better than a new chain provided it isnt a quality control reject. The disc used on the electric grinders have a much finer cut than a file and when properly used should give a finer edge. Microscopic examination of a filed edge would show some very deep grooves cut in the tooth compared to a fine grit grinding wheel.

/ Cut wandering. #55  
Folks that say filed chains cut better than chains sharpened on a grinder must not be considering that new chains sure as heck arent sharpened by files when they are built and it would be hard to get one to cut better than a new chain

Heyyyy... I was just getting ready to say the same thing! :D

/ Cut wandering. #56  
I am one of the ones who will say a hand-filed chain beats a new chain.

Cant explain it, and dont know why, but based on experience, it just does.

/ Cut wandering. #57  
Hand filed cuts way better then new chains. I have had new chains that wouldnt self feed for chit.

/ Cut wandering. #58  
I agree with LD1 ,and xyx123 . hand filed will out perform machine ground . (done properly ) JMHO.

/ Cut wandering. #59  
Depending on someones budget, I would not get a HF brand cheapy sharpener. I used on and still have it and have used it to possibly sharpen 30 chains and it worked sorta okay, but I wasn't real happy with it.

One day some Timber Tuff sharpeners were on sale for $100 and sprung for one of them. There is a huge difference in sharpening between the two. They have a lot more power, the whole thing is metal and the motor and parts have a lot less sloppiness in them. I know it is just a sharpener and if you sharpen 1 chain a year it may be alright but it sure is nicer with a more heavy duty sharpened with some power behind it.

Another vote for the TT sharpener. I use it after every 3-6 hand sharpens to bring everything back in line. Usually my hand sharpens arent that bad, most times its the tooth angle thats off (not exactly 25* (or whatever) ). IMHO chains fresh off the sharpener, with the rakers filed down a bit are the best cutters.

Hand sharpening is done after every couple tanks of fuel. Just a couple swipes for each tooth, unless it's hit a rock or something,.

/ Cut wandering. #60  
:laughing:I will take my orange hst, grinder, and duramax and live just as blissfully as you will with your gear driven red or green, file, and powerstroke. It is nice to have different choices for all our different needs just dont try to tell me I cant put peanut butter on my cheeseburger or we might have to have to take this outside:punch::laughing: