Cutmaster 52 WoW

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #21  
The trouble with comparing plasma systems is that some manufacturers like to play games with the specifications. As I said in a previous post...it is the killowatt output of the system that determines its power rating......as well as an assist from the torch design. Good gas flow physics in the torch can increase both cut speed and consumable life.......this is real evident when you compare the Chines imports, most of which have a copy of a 25 year old Esab (PT31) torch design........it has poor cooling, poor arc constriction and no nozzle shielding/isolation. So......a 40 amp import cuts metal just fine....but at a slower speed, with more dross, and with dramatically shorter consumable life as compared to the Hypertherm and T-D torch designs.

T-D also has played some power supply games to make their similar amperage systems less expensive as compared to Hypertherm. If you compare the T-D 52 (60 amps) to the Hypertherm Powermax1000 (60 Amps).....the Hypertherm is more expensive.....both are rated for the same thicknesses.....but if you look at the fine print on the recomended cut speed charts.....you will notice the Hypertherm is quite a bit faster...especially when you get to thicker material. Why? Because the Hypertherm 60 Amp unit is capable of 8.4 killowatts of output cutting power at 50% duty cycle....the T-D 52 only can produce 6.2 killowatts of output power at a 40% duty cycle. Watts are the true measure of cutting power, and it is less expensive to build a lower wattage power supply. In reality, when you look at capacity and speed...the Hypertherm Powermax45 closely matches the killowatt output of the T-D 52.....even with only 45 Amps....and at almost the same price. I won't even start to talk about duty cycle and kw output of the imports!

I guess its kind of like goi ng to one dealler that is trying to sell you a 3/4 ton truck for a certain price.....then another dealer offers a half ton at a cheaper price. If you are going to use the truck to haul heavy loads...both will do it......but one will do it for a long time!

I'm also going to remember to use my old Brown and Sharp scale in any future pictures!

Jim

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #22  
The TD Cutmaster 52 competes with the Hypertherm 45. The TD82 competes with the Hypertherm 1000. Both Brands are well respected and will cut good. I purchased a TD82 over a year ago and love it. The specs say its a 80amp machine but I run it on a 60amp circuit and have never tripped a breaker.

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #23  
I agree......those are good comparisons...however many will compare Amps to Amps.

Jim

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW
If the supply house jacked their price up so that they could negotiate on the price then they lost a sell.

This was exactly what happened in my case. If you went on the internet the prices were about 100.00 diffrence. And I have been quoted as saying it came down to that hundred but in reality it came down to a 250.00 diffrence between the 52 and 45.

None of my local suppliers would budge on the 45 price when i showed the print outs with free shipping. Bottom line is there was profit to be made at the online price but it was not enough for any of my local companys. So I waited for Indiana Oxygen who dosent sell powermax anymore to run one of there sales on TD and jumped. It was 100.00 cheaper than I could even find it on the internet.
I even asked them about the powermax but he said they had sold out of their stock. In it end it was disapointing as I found many of the things mentioned in the prior posts to be relivent to my situation but in the end the local companys wouldnt deal so they lost a sale. I didnt want to order one offline because I wanted to support the local businesses.

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #25  
Knowing what I know about list pricing, dealer pricing and manufacturing costs.....I have a hard time understanding how any of the online suppliers selling Hypertherm equipment can stay in business. The prices are low, and trust me....they are not making much money.

Personally.....for my equipment I like to become friends with my local welding suppliers....they are always there to help me, they do the best they can to keep the prices down (although I have to ask!)....and they throw in a lot of freebies when I make a big purchase. I pay a little more....but no shipping costs, no delays, and some good avice and service....and consumables and grinding discs are on the shelf and just a few miles from my shop. And, I'm keeping a local company in business.....I'll pay a bit more for that! It's kind of funny...but my favorite local supplier does not even has access to Hypertherm products....he has T-D, Hobart, Miller, Lincoln.....and of course gases.

Jim

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #26  
Just gotta figure out how to incorporate the plasma into it,,,,, It is not gonna be hard. We do alot of wrecking,, and I am undecided if the plasma is going to be good for that or not. Most things have rust or paint on them.... and thus so I have not decided if it is going to work real well for that or not..

With the plasma cutter, you can re-think how you fab certain things....
avoiding the slow processes in favor of cutting with the PC. For example,
I have mentioned many times that you can cut relatively sloppy holes
and weld in DOM tubing to eliminate drilling/punching.

I am currently making some trusses out of 12-guage galvanized 2x6
steel studs. I can hold a straight edge with my left hand and drag-cut
the material with my right hand as fast as I can move the PC torch. The
cuts are decent and fast.

As for demolition work, I have cut up a number of tractor shipping crates
and you do want one end that you can get a good contact. Rust and paint
make no difference for the cuts.....just work so that you need only one
ground contact if you can.

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #27  
jimcolt I wish you the very best with the hypertherm company where you work. I hope it becomes a success story, and I hope there is many more that follow suit.

/ Cutmaster 52 WoW #29  
How many amp breaker will it take to run a Thermal Dynamics 82 plasma cutter?

On 230v Single Phase you will need a 60 amp breaker to offer 80 amps of output power. On 3phase 230v it would be 40 amp. 460 3ph. 20 amp breaker. I run mine all the time on single phase 230v on a 50 amp breaker. I just keep it in mind not to pull full load for too long as to trip the breaker.

Good Luck.