Planters CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters???

/ CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters??? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( so when I start my run down ROW #2, why won't those cultivators tear up the seeds in ROW #1?
)</font>

The area that the cultivator tines clear will be the area between your rows.

/ CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters??? #12  
Here is a link to my homebuilt/modified planter for use with my CUT. I just finished it last night.
Planter

/ CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters??? #14  
I planted 87 acres of corn last year with a JD 7000 4 row wide corn planter, granular sidedress fertilizer, with my NH 1720 tractor. As it was a fine dry spring, worked better than using my big 7700 Ford. My 1720 is ~27 hp.

(Why? I hate planting with a cab on the tractor, & my 30-70 hp tractors are old gassers with weak hydraulics, couldn't lift the planter full of seed & fertilizer. Tried the 1720, and had a great time. Straightest rows I've planted in years with no glass in my way.)

You should only need about 5-7 hp per row on a cornplanter.

--->Paul

/ CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters??? #15  
Paul,

I hear you. When we went to a 4 row planter, we used an old Farmall/IH 350 because it had the better hydraulics. I don't remember, but I think it was around 30 HP.

But I do have to wonder about your 5 -7 hp per row statement. That may be true for an Ag tractor, but these CUTs are a lot lighter. I don't know where your 1720 falls, but I suspect it's not a CUT. That weight (not to mention the tires and transmission) contributes to pulling power every bit as much as the engine.

That hp/row ratio might need to be modified for a CUT.

/ CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters??? #16  
I believe my 1720 is about like a 33 Boomer, which is about the tractor (30 maybe?) listed originally if I can remember right...... But I do have a standard tranny, and I would not rely on my combination to work in difficult planting conditions. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Without a heavy fertilizer load & openers, a planter really is a pretty light pull tho. Only a simple disk furrow for each row, and powering a few easy turning press wheels & seed meters. You need to drive slow too - one of the biggest reasons I had a record corn yield last year - I finally drove slow enough to have ideal plant spacing! Low power gave me an extra $2000 last year.

I'm not so sure about the scratchers on that one planter pictured tho - don't get the point of that, I think those would be tossed in the corner of the shed in short order! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ CUTs with 1 or 2 row Corn/Bean planters??? #17  
Paul,

You make a good point -- the light loads Bob will be carrying for fertilizer and seed will negate any issues of tractor weight. He certainly has both the power and traction for a 2 row planter.