Cutter top plate life

/ Cutter top plate life #11  
Judging interest in another chain build off. Thought I would see if any fellers from a couple other sites like to try their hand at it. Posted at about 8-9 sites now. Some heavy hitters in. :eek:

Thinking of doing a chain build off like we have done many times in the past.

Thread http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/index.php

All times and video will be posted just like in ALL past chain builds. Dont send anything if you cant live by past many many years rules.

Results with times and video will be posted of each chain and person making claim to filing. None of this hiding results BS like some want. Just so you all know up front.

It is a go by the way. :thumbsup:

/ Cutter top plate life
Well Gentleman,

My post was to be opinion and not fact as to my latest experience sharpening chain loop as they reach 50%. I do not waste money,ESPECIALLY TIME MONEY as to labor sharpening!! MY post was to "Present" my opinion on chain sharpening, Those who are "Thrifty" and squeeze a penny till Lincoln Blinks ----------- GOOD FOR YOU.

TBN has really great members ------ some just don't know how to post reply's as to being an "Expert" in the topics.

JW 5875

/ Cutter top plate life #14  
Well Gentleman,

My post was to be opinion and not fact as to my latest experience sharpening chain loop as they reach 50%. I do not waste money,ESPECIALLY TIME MONEY as to labor sharpening!! MY post was to "Present" my opinion on chain sharpening, Those who are "Thrifty" and squeeze a penny till Lincoln Blinks ----------- GOOD FOR YOU.

TBN has really great members ------ some just don't know how to post reply's as to being an "Expert" in the topics.

JW 5875

Please send me all your 50% used chains that are not worth your time anymore, pleeeeeessssse. :2cents:

/ Cutter top plate life #15  
New education on sharpening chains for me,..... found out that when the top plate reach 50% of length, time to replace the chain.... At 50%, it does not have the side or top clearance specs no more. JW 5875
Yes, I read this as you presenting an opinion based on your findings. I think many of the posters here think somebody else told you this and are saying don't listen to this other guy, rather than coming down on you.
(Subtle difference in their intent)

Last edited:
   / Cutter top plate life #16  
At 50% or less the cutters are more efficient and cut better. Yes you do have to lower the rakers, but not all that much. This is fact, not opinion.

/ Cutter top plate life #17  
Didn't mean to offend, I thought someone gave you the advice. I was always shown to file with the mark and angle, and lower the rakers accordingly until you filed down to the mark, then the chain was toast. I have followed that advice and always get nice ribbons, until I don't. I'm no professional, just a landowner with a couple saws.

/ Cutter top plate life #18  
I NEVER wanted to insult you, I assumed that someone was telling you a lie and was trying to help. If I did it wrong please forgive me. Ed

/ Cutter top plate life #19  
Well Gentleman,

JW 5875

Tell us about which chains you used to come up with the 50% idea. 3/8, .325, 3/8LP, other? Safety/low kickback chain with raker guard links? Freehand filing (file only), hand filing with guide, electric chain grinder, Dremel, other?

I'm not trying to test you. I am genuinely curious.

/ Cutter top plate life #20  
New education on sharpening chains for me, trying to keep chains up to par, found out that when the top plate reach 50% of length, time to replace the chain and don't waste your time trying to sharpen it, setting depth gauges etc.
At 50%, it does not have the side or top clearance specs no more.
JW 5875

I understand fully that time is money and that many tasks reach a point of diminishing returns much more quickly than do others. But your statement, "At 50%, it does not have the side or top clearance specs no more." should not be true whether or not stated as fact or opinion. I am not familiar with "top clearance". Side clearance for the bar to pass without binding should not be a problem over the entire life of the cutters. If the bar clearance is inadequate, either the chain is not matching the bar specifications or as you sharpen the cutters you may be inadvertently filing at more acute angle across the blade. Whereas some folks use 10 degrees from straight across for ripping, we generally use 30 degrees from straight across for bucking and felling. If you go much beyond 35 degrees, the channel of the cut may get narrow enough to interfere with the blade. I was taught to change filing angle by about 5 degrees closer to straight across when the chain nears its end of top plate, thus keeping a wider cut channel or kerf, but I think such is not necessary and the original factory angle can be maintained with adequate clearance right down to the nubs. So far as cutting speed or chip size or efficiency of cutting time; seems to make no noticeable difference as the teeth wear back. I know of no peer reviewed research to back me up on all of that, its just my take on the subject from past experience and not fact. Time is money, but money is money too. There is usually a balance between penny wise/pound foolish and spendthrift.

prs