Cutting Board

/ Cutting Board #1  

UpToNoGood

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2025
I have a few cutting boards in my kitchen and they can be pricy for a good one. Well today while in Home depot I saw this "Husky 27 in. Hardwood Tool Cabinet Top for Rolling Cabinet" and said to my wife that would make an awesome cutting board for only $19.97. The only thing is it has a clear coat that would need to be removed.

My tip for the day.

Hers is the link: Husky 27 in. Hardwood Tool Cabinet Top for Rolling Cabinet-HOCN260001 at The Home Depot

/ Cutting Board #2  
Looks good! For very many years, I have happily used little plastic (polypropylene, I think) cutting boards made by Cuisinart. They are about 12" square with slightly raised edges so that liquids don't run off. They just pop in the dishwasher and are very gentle on the edges of knives. They were inexpensive; something like $5-$10 ea. Don't know if they're still available though.

Edit: Found a link to some, so looks like they're still available, but $10 now. Cuisinart Prep Board, Square - Leroux Kitchen

- Jay

/ Cutting Board #3  
Looks good! For very many years, I have happily used little plastic (polypropylene, I think) cutting boards made by Cuisinart. They are about 12" square with slightly raised edges so that liquids don't run off. They just pop in the dishwasher and are very gentle on the edges of knives. They were inexpensive; something like $5-$10 ea. Don't know if they're still available though.

Edit: Found a link to some, so looks like they're still available, but $10 now. Cuisinart Prep Board, Square - Leroux Kitchen

- Jay

If you are slightly handy at woodworking, a nice end grain cutting board is beautiful and very serviceable. I made one a couple years back; it takes a fair amount of time, but it's fun and the result is very attractive. They tend to be very expensive if you are buying, but affordable if you make it yourself. I made mine from some Walnut and White Oak that I had on hand. There are hundreds of plans and videos on the internet.

Wood has a tendency to decontaminate itself and is probably a bit more sanitary than the plastic, although we use both.

/ Cutting Board #5  
For Christmas I got a 12x18 glass cutting board it is tempered but have not used it once yet, my niece has one I used which was nice. They are a bit m ore hard on the knifes however and you don't want to cut/chip them is my fear. they are more sanitary than others however.

Sanding off the finish on the boards might be difficult but doable then treat with food grade mineral oil 2 or 3 times prior to use, do not dishwasher them only rinse with soap & water & re-coat as needed. Look in the drug store for laxatives there are brands in most that are pure mineral oil...

Mark