Cutting crooked

/ Cutting crooked
Thanx, I'll change it tomorrow. Yea, thats all I had'nt done but in all my years of cutting (40) I'd never came across that .

/ Cutting crooked #12  
Thanx, I'll change it tomorrow. Yea, thats all I had'nt done but in all my years of cutting (40) I'd never came across that .

You're welcome! I'd never changed one either; then I bought a used 192T Stihl pro pruning saw, and had my Stihl dealer check it out - I was replacing some completely whipped parts, and asked about the sprocket condition and they confirmed it needed replacing. I wasn't quite sure looking at it, but they knew right away....Cheap insurance, and makes a BIG difference in performance.

Don't feel bad I've been cutting since I was 14. Now 60! Used to cut for a big Tree Co., and was climber too...never knew 'till last year :confused3: :pullinghair:

Last edited:
   / Cutting crooked #13  

Most of the time a sprocket will not have much of an effect on cut wandering but in your case with using the saw with a slightly bowed bar could have worn the sprocket in such a way as to throw off the chains direction. If the sprocket replacement still doesn't fix it, put on a new chain (its always good to have a mess of chains anyway). If that doesn't fix it, check for bar fitment and oil hole lineup. Also, recheck bar sizing and gage which is stamped at the base of the bar and compare these figures to your original. I have caught several mistakes from the saw shops when handed over the "direct replacement" bar so I always confirm the sizing.

/ Cutting crooked #14  
Wow, I haven't ever changed a sprocket and probably cut up a couple hundred chords. I thought it was just getting broke in :D

Mine was almosst cut in half before I noticed. Changing the sprocket is just anothe routine maintenance task. "Rim Sprockets" make the job simple and cheap. If the saw doesn't have one when I change I switch to a "rim".

Harry K