Cutting Fluid Film

/ Cutting Fluid Film #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
I've got a gallon can of Fluid Film that I mostly use to paint the underside of 2 riding mower decks after pressure washing every fall. I had some FF in a pump sprayer and cut it with denatured alcohol, as that was the only thing I saw hanging around the garage at the time. It worked somewhat, but could have been much better. Should I have just watered the FF down more with the alcohol or is there a better cutting agent for sprayer use?

/ Cutting Fluid Film #2  
Fluid film is petroleum based. Use a petroleum based thinner, if you have to cut it. Paint thinner, kerosene, mineral spirits, etc.

/ Cutting Fluid Film
Fluid film is petroleum based. Use a petroleum based thinner, if you have to cut it. Paint thinner, kerosene, mineral spirits, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I just visited their FAQ page (which would have been a smart thing to do in the beginning!). Here's what they have to say:

"The first recommendation is to thoroughly mix the product. FLUID FILM is thixotropic, and will get heavier upon sitting. Achieving room temperature with the product will help as well. If a thinner version is wanted, start by mixing a small amount of vegetable oil to the product until the desired consistency is reached. It is not recommended that FLUID FILM be used in a pump type sprayer even after thinning. Airless paint spraying equipment is what is recommended for proper application, applied at approximately 2000 PSI as a minimum."

/ Cutting Fluid Film
For my current use, right out of the bucket with a paint brush works just fine for mower deck undersides. I was curious in case I ever decided to spray the underside of the truck.

/ Cutting Fluid Film #7  
Thixotropic. That's a new one for me. "Will Get Heavier Upon Sitting". I know a lot of folks like that!

/ Cutting Fluid Film #10  

Nope. Fluid Film is made from lanolin. Which comes from sheep. Looks like the OP has already found the thinning instructions.