cutting hard to reach grass

/ cutting hard to reach grass #1  

harleyboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30hst
I have a job to cut the grass on a berm about 15 ft high and about 12 ft from edge to crest. It is covered in grass weeds and burrdock. I know i could go out and buy a long reach mower but don't have $6k to $8k. Im also cutting with a non cabbed tractor so the the idea of a rotory mower is a little scary. I was thinking sickle bar 3 ph style but make a movable arm and hydraulic drive. Im sure someone has a picture of this idea? or a better one.
open to suggestions.
HB

/ cutting hard to reach grass #2  
I was at the scrap yard the other day and bought a ragged out disc mower. Its got a few a straight frame and the gear box was good. The bar that the discs run was rusted shut. I grabbed it for 80 bucks. Ikept the canvas cover mount arm to. the bolt on plate that holds it can be inverted so I will make an arm mount on this to hold a belt drive deck off an old Farmall cub mower. I did run across a 60 inch mower deck off an old JD garden tractor. With the gear box in the pivot of the mowers arm I can make foldable mower that is belt drive.

/ cutting hard to reach grass #3  
I have a old barn foundation at my place, parts of it I could not mow since the sides were so steep. I got tired of thinking about it and went to a yard sale. When I saw a cheap push mower there for $30, I found a solution. I bought the mower, brought it home, and took off the wheels. Then I bolted it to wood frame. The frame has 2 long "forks" that slide into my tractor bucket. And I also ratchet strap it as well. On mowing day, I start the push mower, then keep it running by tying the handle down with a wire. Then I lift the bucket over the weeds, and lower it. (I do all this in low gear, at idle) On some areas, I roll the bucket back to match the slope, then back up the tractor, while lowering the bucket. Make sure you have a heavy weight on the 3pt. On bad hills, it helps to lower the weight to the ground. I can't say it is easy, but it does work, I can get the weeds maybe 3-4" above ground level. The only other way to do it would be a string trimmer, but thats why we have tractors :)

/ cutting hard to reach grass #4  
There's a steep bank here that they cut with a lawn mower tied to a rope. They pull it up and let it down by the rope until they get the whole thing cut.

/ cutting hard to reach grass #5  
I have a old barn foundation at my place, parts of it I could not mow since the sides were so steep. I got tired of thinking about it and went to a yard sale.
1* When I saw a cheap push mower there for $30, I found a solution. I bought the mower, brought it home, and took off the wheels.
2*Then I bolted it to wood frame.
3*I also ratchet strap it as well.
4*I start the push mower, then keep it running by tying the handle down with a wire.
5*Then I lift the bucket over the weeds, and lower it. (I do all this in low gear, at idle) On some areas, I roll the bucket back to match the slope, then back up the tractor, while lowering the bucket.
6*Make sure you have a heavy weight on the 3pt. On bad hills, it helps to lower the weight to the ground. I can't say it is easy, but it does work, I can get the weeds maybe 3-4" above ground level.
7*The only other way to do it would be a string trimmer, but thats why we have tractors :)
1*A friend had given me a Box store push mower .
Last fall I took it to a small engine shop who fixed it for 25 or 45 dollars and it runs and starts great.
2*I bolted the mower to a 5 or six foot pallet so i can pick up the pallet with my bucket forks .
This gives me about a 9 to 11 foot reach out from the front of the front wheels of the tractor.
3*I ratchet strap the pallet to the loader bucket .
4*I use a bungee strap for this.
5*I do the same thing.
6*I use the BX23 BH.
7*Beats a srting trimmer all to pieces.