Toplink Cutting on a Vertical Plane

/ Cutting on a Vertical Plane #11  
I have a First Choice sicklebar mower that will run vertical and I have tried it and it does work. It will cut brush and small limbs very well. But I have got to tell you that it is nerve racking work having that sickle running right behind your right ear and above your head with stuff falling down in your face. A sicklebar is a little floppy when not supported on the far end by the ground. I would not recommend using one that way. But maybe I'm just a chicken.
I have miles of trails and roads to maintain. For me the best method is to use a chainsaw, polesaw, and bushhog. Once I get the brush and trees cut back far enough at ground level upkeep is alot easier. I use the sickle bar at ground level to reach under the branches and keep stuff on the sides from growing.

One thought is to mow with the sickle bar at less than a 90 degree upright angle--maybe 80 degrees or 75--so if the hydraulics fail gravity will cause the mowing bar to fall down away from you.

/ Cutting on a Vertical Plane #12  
If i'm not mistaken, Befco's sickle mowers as well as their tillers and other hay equipment are imported from Italy. I do not know of any sickle mowers made in America besides the New Holland.

Interesting. I actually didn't know where the BEFCO sickle mowers were made when I made that post. From prior Internet info (I don't remember specifically where) I read that the New Holland sickle bar mowers are also made overseas. I got the manuals from the Italian mowers and the BEFCO mower and compared them. So far as I could tell, the mowers are a little different, although they all seem to be the same basic design.