Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #21  
was going to say what sound guy said about the advantage of dull blades. Also keeping them dull saves time sharpening them!

I didn't think wet grass dulled mower blades that much - more the issue to my mind is how hard it can be on the grass - it rips the blade rather than a clean cut. It also does require more horsepower. None of this applies to brush hogging, of course, and the advantage of not brush hogging in cloud of dust is a very real one for me!

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #22  
I don't do any mowing in the woods.. and i mow pretty fast.. 5th or 6th gear, and use a heavy tractor.. heavier than a 4630.. i use a 5000 and a 7610s.. etc.. so yeah.. those variables can certaintly make a difference..

soundguy

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #23  
I don't do any mowing in the woods.. and i mow pretty fast.. 5th or 6th gear, and use a heavy tractor.. heavier than a 4630.. i use a 5000 and a 7610s.. etc.. so yeah.. those variables can certaintly make a difference..

soundguy

I found some of my handywork. These could end up in a tire but so far not mine. The ends are pretty fuzzy.

On the side note when I finished building my rake it was quick work to remove all the chopped up junk.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 207
   / Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #24  
I couldn't get my tractor down some of those trails.. not to mention the mower!!

i love the look of the area though, thanks for the pics.

soundguy

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #25  
Lee, you have to remember he is in Florida where you can hear the grass grow when it doesn't get much rain!! Give it 25 inches of rain, and in 10 days you'll need major land clearing equipment to tame it again!
Any time I'm in Fl. The grass alwys looks dry thin and brown compared to the lush green green grass of home.Oh.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #26  
Yep.. we floridians havn't had much choice these past 10 days.. nor will we the next 9n in some areas... when you got to mow.. you got to mow..
It's been so dry here in the bukie stat
soundguy
It's been so dry here in the buckeye state this summer it takes the grass 2 or 3 times as long to grow the same length as normal so I haven't mowed as much or as often this season.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #27  
same thing up in this neck of the woods this year been a wet summer and not real hot so the grass is as green and moist as in early june. i cut when i have to sometimes i wait till 1 pm to start and it is still heavy with dew if in shaded areas
It's been a very dry summer in my corner of the Ohio Valley.
Grass is growing at around 1/2 OR 1/3 speed............

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #28  
I can't even go a week.. in 5 days it could use a mowing!

soundguy

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #29  
We bought a new rotary mower in 2006. It has been so dry around here, this is the first year I've really had to use it. I was out until 9:00 PM last night hogging fields.

The bahia has grown so tall that it is still laying down from the rear tires when the mower gets to it. I have 'streaks' of grass along the rear tire tracks. Wish I could mount that hog on the front. :D Well, I could but it would cost about $8,000 for a front 3pt hitch and a front PTO. For that, I'll have streaks in my pastures.

/ Cutting tall, wet grass with a bushog. #30  
when it's like that I do opposed strips.. Ie.. I cut one strip one direction, and then the next pass in the other.. the 'overlapped area' is cutr the other direction. To do this you have to kinda make a flat figure 8.. IE.. cut a center cut down the pasture. only works good fro square or rectangular pastures.. odd shapes don't work as good this way.. wastes alot of cut..

soundguy