Cutting torches - need help

/ Cutting torches - need help #11  
I agree with Gary on refurbishing. I have the HF heavy duty set; gauges, torch, couple tips, cutting attachment, and hose. All for $200. It is a clone of Victor and Victor tips work with it. For what we all do a cutting torch per say is unnecessary. With that set you will never reach the job it won't handle unless you are using a "B" Acetylene tank. For our work heating tips are a must. For most work the average novice uses too large a tips. I have 00 for both welding and cutting plus the larger ones. I also have cutting tips to use with propane instead of Acet. Welding/heating tips don't know the difference in fuel gases. You may need an adapter for the regulator depending on your tank. I do most my cutting w/propane due to cost. I am actually a better O/A welder than an arc welder but have both. O/A works better for small work and thin material using the 00 tip.

Ron

/ Cutting torches - need help #12  
I don't do much cutting and brazing these days, but I have been very lucky in my dealings with "rebuilt" regulators and torches. Now it does help when you walk across the street and pick up a shovel and help a neighbor dig a trench to the street to replace a septic line, and talk him into changing out the steel water line they buried in the same trench 35 years previous. Digging the trench was a bonding experience with the neighbor, donating the pipe and fittings to change the waterline made a friend of his wife. (increased the water pressure in the house, cut washing machine time in half). Turned out he worked for a welding supply company and they rebuilt regulators as part of their services. (Nowadays it is mostly medical types). As things gather dust on the shelves of major companies, they tend to get tossed or donated to an employee to take home. I have been fortunate to be the one that got to be where this stuff ended up at. My friend retired a few years ago, so the parts have quit coming, but the memory of rebuilt torches and regulators always brings a smile to my face.
I have watched the quality of old Victor, Smith and others slowly decline to what is now considered "heavy duty", a vague resemblance of what they were at one time. Yes, I do like having some old regulators that have been rebuilt, and best of all at no cost, except for the enjoyment of having a friend who could rebuild them. Choose your friends well, and when you can't, may you have the luck of having a neighbor that was the friend mine was. I do miss him, with or without his rebuilding skills.
David from jax

/ Cutting torches - need help #13  
Oh here's another thought. I hope you got large tanks because if you don't you probably ought to go buy some. As most of us have found out any of the smaller ones those places like Airgas ( mr personaly most hated) will bend you over and rape you to death. Try, if you can find one to find a small family owned LWS and make them your best friends. Believe my when , if they go away or get bought out by that creeping menace Airgas you will cry and your wallet will bleed.
Why do I despise this outfit so you ask. Simple They've always had lousy business practices when It comes to the little guy and I screamed the last time I got my 90 ft. C 25 tank filled up. WhenI got it filled up again last week and I happened to check on one of the Web groups and I think I officially paid more than anybody else in the history of the world 100 bucks and I got 88 Cubic foot what a deal. :thumbdown::thumbdown: