Cutting with a stick welder?

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #11  
I have an Arc Air Slice Torch. ( Exothermic). Yes it it 80# Oxy. Just used it to cut Rebar that hade some thin Concrete on it. What a Beast..

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #12  
Can you haul the beam to a local shop and have it cut in a band saw or torched. As others have said the cut quality will be very poor.

Dan

/ Cutting with a stick welder?
Yes on hauling, and I am not sure I am going to cut this long beam up anyway, may just buy a short peice.

I am going to pass on this air torch. Maybe get a set of those cutting rods for a just in case scenario (to use with my welder normally with no air support) and go out and buy a used oxy setup. There are a bunch for sale on Craigslist...

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #14  
I have a Craftsman carbon arc torch that is made to be connected to the leads on an arc welder. This unit is about 50 years old and uses pencil shaped copper coated electrodes. I have used it to cut pieces apart that were previously welded together and it works, but is pretty much a brute force type of thing.

Not sure if carbon electrodes in this size are still available, but I'd like to have some more on hand if I can find them.

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
   / Cutting with a stick welder? #15  
You can buy Arc Air Carbons Made for Gouging with an Air Arc Torch. They will work good on your ( Nearly Collectable ) Carbon Arc Torch.
:thumbsup:

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #16  
When I first started farming, I used pounds of the 6011's with my Lincoln 225 with good results. I did not need to buy a torch for many years later, when I started my business. Ken Sweet

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #17  
Arc-air is a pretty serious operation if have you ever see it done. It will remove a tremendous amount of metal in a very short time. It works very well. It will also blow molten the size of marbles in an uncontrollable spray for thirty feet. One has to have a very large area with nothing that can catch on fire when using arc-air. Not something I would want to try in my garage.

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #18  
Ditto on the 6011 soaked in water a few hours,not pretty but does the job with what you have,I,m all about easy and cheap:D

/ Cutting with a stick welder? #19  
Worked for an Excavating company. Every new bucket they bought for a Bobcat was cut to pieces and reworked per their own special design. (Rather slick, had a cutting edge front and rear, made grading a breeze)

Anyway, like some others have said, the guy who always altered the buckets used one of those Air Arc units. I seem to remember that it made a really nice, clean cut without a lot of grinding.

It seems like you'd need a commercial sized compressor to keep up though. It'd be rather slow going with even a larger home owner sized air compressor.