Cyber challenged old foggy needs help

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #21  
I have the official Ford plastic model of that one, dealer was giving them out to kids at the Fireman's Carnival. They also had the car there, and couldn't figure out why farmers weren't interested in a car with a little tub in the middle for luggage.

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #22  
I didn't think Chevy had a V-8, even in the Corvette, until '55. I kinda like the 53 Vette with the 6 cylinder, 3 carb, powerglide./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #23  
Jeff, have you looked at the new T-birds? I don't know how many are around or how many they're going to build, but I was in a dealer's showroom last week and they had one there; bright red. Sure looks good to me, but they said window sticker was $39k and they're asking $15k over sticker price./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #24  
That's the part I was unsure about whether it was '54 or '55. Those cars are hideously expensive so I never even considered one when looking for my current car. You will rarely see one at any of the shows.

Did you ever hear the story about John Wayne getting one of the first Vettes? I'm pretty sure it was a '53 and they were trying to get the stars to have them to hopefully spread interest. I think they only made 300 the first year. That was primarily due to the lack of a V8, non operational side windows and a 2 speed automatic trans. For some reason what Americans found acceptable in the British sports cars was not so on the Vette. Of course I think the high price tag and its target buyers were a bit different also. After having the car a short time he gave it away to one of his actor buddies because he just couldn't fit in the car./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Ward Bond comes to mind but I am not sure about that.

Jeff

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #25  
jeff: great car and a better picture. whoever took it knew what he was doing.

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #26  
I have seen two on the road which surprised me as I didn't think they were out yet. I think they look good but it's too bad they couldn't stick to their initial price target in the low 30's. I think it would have been huge! With a price tag as high as it is I don't know. I never got the paying over sticker so I can have it first thing. When I belonged to my T-bird club the members were asked if anyone would be interested in buying the first T-bird that our sponsoring dealership obtained. There was no interest./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I'll have to wait and see one but I still can't see why I'd go for a T-bird when you can get a Vette for about the same money. It seems there is the same rivalry as back in '55. You had the two seat performance and the two seat personal luxury car. It will be interesting if the outcome is different this time.

Jeff

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #27  
Jeff, I don't know how many new T-birds are on the road yet, but didn't know there was a shortage. A couple of weeks ago, I was driving by one of the biggest Ford dealers in the Dallas area and noticed two of them sitting out front.

Don't believe I'd heard the story about John Wayne.

In '58, I had a friend who had a '53 Vette. It was fun to drive, and since we were both hotrodders in those days, we had to run it against my '56 Merc. That Vette was very sluggish off the line and the Merc. could run off and leave it on a drag race. Even with a 50mph rolling start, I could pull several car lengths ahead of him, but when my Merc. topped out a little over 120mph, he'd just zooooom on past me./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif Of course, I also had to steal that Vette one day and park it in a different spot to see the look on his face when he got off work and it wasn't where he had parked it (my mother's '53 Buick key was the same as his key)./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #28  
I was just at my dealers this morning. They have a white Tbird convertible. Sticker price 38k but are asking 47k for it. Salesman said they only made 5k of them. To rich for my blood. JIM

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #29  
I guess I'm gonna have to make it to the dealer for a look see. I suppose if they were selling them for sticker price they might sell too quickly. It's kinda like the old Corvettes being rationed out to the dealers to bring the public in for a look...and hopefully a sale of another vehicle. I still gotta think that for that price there are an aweful lot of nice relatively inexpensive 2 seat convertibles such as the Mitsubishi and that new Toyota. Of course while we were looking at our Chrysler LHS my wife expressed some interest in that new Volvo convertible. That thing goes for over $40k....Yikes/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. Those must be the people they are aiming at and with only a 5000 vehicle production run you also get "some" exclusivity./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Does anyone know what the production figures are on the Viper and the Prowler?

Jeff

/ Cyber challenged old foggy needs help #30  
Jeff
The Prowler is headed for "0" production at the end of this model. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I believe the Viper production is less than 1000 a year. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The T'Bird has been in production for almost a year now. But problems have limited shipping of them to dealers. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

The storage yard was almost empty the last time I drove by.