Cylinder drift......

/ Cylinder drift...... #1  

AKKAMAAN

Veteran Member
I think there is some different opinions about what causes cylinder drift/drop.....

It is usually gravity loads that makes cylinder drift....some times even inertial loads can make cylinders drift....while loads from friction never do....

A double action cylinder can hold a load on each side of the piston.....the capped side have a larger piston area than the rod side of the piston....the rod cross area make the net piston area that smaller on the rod side....

Let's make an example...we put a load on a double action cylinder capped side, and lets also say the hoses are disconnected and plugged with QD's.
cylinder_drift_capped_side_load.jpg

If a certain load, lets say 1000 lbs, is held up by the pressure on the capped side, that pressure will sooner or later equalize both sides of the piston. If the cross area of the bore is 20 square inch, the pressure will initially be 1000/20=50psi. Due to inevitable piston natural seal leakage, pressure will equalize, and we will have the same pressure on both sides of piston. But now it is not 20 sqin that hold the load, it will be the net area difference between the capped side and the rod side, which is the area of the piston rod, lets say 5 sqin. 1000/5=200psi.
OK, piston seal have leaked a little but the cylinder WILL NOT DRIFT, unless there is an external leakage. Cylinder will actually not drift until something bursts.
If this cylinder would be connected to a control valve, it will be the control valve only that can make cylinder drift. PERIOD!! Either through work port valves or through the spool "tolerances".....
Spool leakage would be either natural from design, a few c/c per minute, if more it it would be due to MANY years of wear on the spools. It is unheard of, that spools can wear so much so a bucket can just starting dropping down fast during "a lunch break".
So, if the cylinder is suddenly dropping down "fast" it can only be the work port valve, or another valve connected to the hydraulic lines.

Next example will be when the load is held up by the rod side of the double action cylinder....
cylinder_drift_rod_side_load.jpg

If we use the same cylinder and load as the above example, the initial pressure will be 1000/(20-5)=1000/15=67psi. At this setup the piston rod is being pulled out of the cylinder and will create a void on the capped side. Then this pressure will never equalize the sides of the piston, and the result will be that cylinder will drift if piston seal is leaking. Still, leakage through the control valve is possible. This can be tested by disconnecting and plugging the rod side hose. If we still are drifting it will be from a bad piston seal.

Now I go camping over the weekend and will be back on Sunday!

/ Cylinder drift...... #2  
Hope you have a good time camping, here in this area skeeters would have you for lunch!!!
I would sure like to see one of your animated graphics done on this example.:thumbsup: (couldnt find one that begs:laughing:)

/ Cylinder drift......
Hope you have a good time camping, here in this area skeeters would have you for lunch!!!
I would sure like to see one of your animated graphics done on this example.:thumbsup: (couldnt find one that begs:laughing:)

Oki...I accept the challenge....need some time though....
Peace
Per A

/ Cylinder drift...... #4  
Had to think about it but I think I would have to agree. The way the first illustration is set up, when the fluid leaked from the lower side of the cylinder toward the top side then it would first equalize the presure from the different sides but no more due to the amount of fluid on the top. the top side, containing a rod, has less cubic inches than he bottom side, so in theory, then all the fluid in the bottom could not move to the top, because there is less space. Very nice illustration.

/ Cylinder drift...... #5  
Oki...I accept the challenge....need some time though....
Peace
Per A

I did not mean to ruin your camping!!!!!!!!
We will patiently wait.

/ Cylinder drift...... #6  
AKKAMAN,

I see where you coming from, but something was missed when you said "cylinder WILL NOT DRIFT, unless there is external leakage"....in your first illustration you show a rod size of 5 sq in rod dia & 20 sq in bore....basically 4:1 ratio.....

if a higher load were introduced (say lifting a typical load developing 1000psi in the base end of cyl) then if the piston seals "equalizes" it shows up as a potential intensified load of 4000 psi(displacement of the rod is only holding up load)....If WPR is set at say 2000 psi then WPR would let down load resulting in cyl drift/drop.....of course the valve will never see the 4000 psi but the load will drop accordingly......

I've seen this happen in perfectly good WPR and Counterbalance valves (cartridge valves used in other construction/utility equip)....because of the unwanted high pressures they let themselves down predictably to the preset pressures due to piston seal bypass....http://www.insidersecretstohydraulics.com/hydraulic-cylinder-drift.html

If no WPR or CBV then you have intensified overpressure and it should hold a load at 4000 psi (assuming nothing else blows apart...ie: cyl gland, hose, ect)

In a perfect world none of this would happen, but it's not....WPR's & CBV's are there for protection but add to your Cyl Drift in this scenario....Seen this happen on outriggers and boom cyls on different types of mobil equip....

but then again were only talking tractors right??? and they do have WPR's right????......yes/no???:cool:

Last edited:
   / Cylinder drift...... #8  
AKKAMAN,

I see where you coming from, but something was missed when you said "cylinder WILL NOT DRIFT, unless there is external leakage"....in your first illustration you show a rod size of 5 sq in rod dia & 20 sq in bore....basically 4:1 ratio.....

if a higher load were introduced (say lifting a typical load developing 1000psi in the base end of cyl) then if the piston seals "equalizes" it shows up as a potential intensified load of 4000 psi(displacement of the rod is only holding up load)....If WPR is set at say 2000 psi then WPR would let down load resulting in cyl drift/drop.....of course the valve will never see the 4000 psi but the load will drop accordingly......

I've seen this happen in perfectly good WPR and Counterbalance valves (cartridge valves used in other construction/utility equip)....because of the unwanted high pressures they let themselves down predictably to the preset pressures due to piston seal bypass....Troubleshooting hydraulic cylinder drift

If no WPR or CBV then you have intensified overpressure and it should hold a load at 4000 psi (assuming nothing else blows apart...ie: cyl gland, hose, ect)

In a perfect world none of this would happen, but it's not....WPR's & CBV's are there for protection but add to your Cyl Drift in this scenario....Seen this happen on outriggers and boom cyls on different types of mobil equip....

but then again were only talking tractors right??? and they do have WPR's right????......yes/no???:cool:

I see your point here, but remember for his example the hoses are disconnected and plugged.

Let's make an example...we put a load on a double action cylinder capped side, and lets also say the hoses are disconnected and plugged with QD's.

/ Cylinder drift...... #9  
If this cylinder would be connected to a control valve, it will be the control valve only that can make cylinder drift. PERIOD!! Either through work port valves or through the spool "tolerances".....

True with QC's, but here it's connected to control valve.....